Audi S3 rear end twitches/sways

GOLF-MK3-GTI

Reaction score
I am new on the forum and would like to say HI to all you fellow S3 Enthusiasts.

The problem i have with mine is when driving in a straight line and i drive over manholes or potholes. the rear end will twitch either way. You just cannot tell which way the back end will go.

My car has been lowered on FK Coilovers, which i believe are less than 2 year old. But when i look at the springs they look compressed? Is this normal?

Also i have 20mm spacers on the back & front, could it be due to this as its now wide track?

My rear tyres are completely bold, so am going to put new rubber on and see if this fixes the twitching.

I've also read online it could be the rear trailing arm bush or its needs proper caster/camber doing?

Any input appreciated... Thanks

Definitely check the rear trailing arm front bush. I changed mine last year and one side was totally shagged and that's on an 80k 2003 car that's rarely driven hard.

Thanks for the input. Can i ask what bushes did you use? Did you get O.E or Powerflex?

Have you got adjustable tie bars on the rear to pull the camber back in? not having these on a lowered quattro will cause excessive tyre wear and handling issues as camber/toe goes out when lowering...

<tuffty/>

What Tuffty said,
Get new rubber and get some adjustable tie bars if your keeping it low, Then get a full geo check... camber, tracking,tow... thrust angle...
Makes a world of difference

Going to put the car on the ramp on weekend and see the state of the bushes. It has adjustable Tie Arms But not sure if it has the bottom ones or top ones. Also who would you guys recommend for the full GEO setup? I've mainly ever used Aline in Dudley?

Thanks Guys

My S3 was also very twitchy at the rear, and was a mare to drive in snow or heavy rain, in complete contrast to my old A3 TDI quattro which was planted as anything.

It had been lowered, so I got a pair of adjustable rear tie bars and fitted those to bring the camber back within spec.

I then went for a four wheel alignment, and got it set up. They couldn't bring the rear toe into spec though, it had no more adjustment left and although better was still wandering a bit.

I then changed the rear trailing arm bushes for powerflex ones, and whilst they were out removed the plastic covers that sit within the chassis over the bushes, and which restrict some of the arms adjustment.

Took it back for another alignment and they were able to set the toe spot on.

It's a transformed car now, feels planted like my old one and is so much more confidence inspiring.

Replaced the 2 rear tyres and all is spot on. Had the car up on the ramp and rear trailing bushes look new, so i assume they have been changed. No More Twitching

Thanks for the replies guys.