1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audi s3 quattro 2002 225 bhp..........mpg is rubbish

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by pedc, Jan 15, 2011.

1. pedc

pedc New Member

HI DUDES SOZ TO HASSLE USE BUT IV GOT AN S3 THATS KINDA NEW ....BUT THE MPG IS SH-T.....IS THERE ANY DUDES OUT THERE THAT ARE GETTING 30MPG ..........JUST NOW I ONLY GET 15 MPGS........ABOUT TO DO THE PLUGS OIL AND FILTER ........SHOULD THIS FAIL TO HELP THE MPG .........WHAT NEXT?????????
    ID BE OBLIGED IF SOME ONE WITH THE SAME CAR CAN GIVE IS A WEE BIT ADVICE AS IM LOST !!!
    THANKS FOR READING DUDES!!
    CHEERS
    PEDCRO:banghead::banghead:
  2. S3 AUO

S3 AUO Member

Caps lock is cruise control for cool kk?
  3. pedc

pedc New Member

u wot??????????????
  4. pedc

pedc New Member

cheers for all the help!!!!!
  5. pedc

pedc New Member

does any 1 actually talk on here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Craig A

Craig A New Member

Personally I would do plugs, oil, filter and air filter. My 2001 S3 does an average of 27mpg around town and I change all the above every 4500miles. Try it and I would think it should get better.
  7. will89

will89 Member

Maybe if you reword your first post, using english not text talk, people may read your post and reply. And remember not to write everything in capitals too.

P.S. Welcome to AS.net!!:kissmyrings:
  8. pedc

pedc New Member

soz for the capitals just noticed ,cheers guys for gettin back to me il try all the above .....lets hope it beats 15 mpg ...cheers again!
  9. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Pedc
    I'll move this to the 8L section
    Welcome to AS
  10. pedc

pedc New Member

arite lads should have asked earlier what types of oil do use reccomend .....just the mobil 1??
    cheers
    ped
  11. R1KVX

R1KVX Member

is it mapped + have you got a heavy foot
  12. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Your high fuel consumption could be due to a common problem these cars have with coolant temp sensor (CTS) and/or thermostat...

Thermostat issues are normally indicated by the engine temps not getting much above 70/80 deg on the gauge... CTS issues are normally indicated by the temperature gauge giving an erratic reading... however as the CTS is a dual sensor (one for the gauge and one for the ECU) I have seen the temp gauge sat at 90deg for the gauge but the ECU is only seeing 75/80 deg..

The result of all this is the ECU still thinks the engine is warming up and will run a richer fuel mix leading to poor fuel consumption...

The other issue you could have is a problem with the EGT probe... is the ECU detects a problem with this then it will go into safe mode and run very rich again leading to very poor fuel consumption..

Your best best is to get the car checked for fault codes and take it from there...

<tuffty/>
  13. pedc

pedc New Member

na not hard footed at all .....il change the plugs filters oil etc ...se if i notice a change .....i havnt had it that long and was lookin through reciepts last night never found any for plugs or filters ....cheers again lads!!
    ped
  14. pedc

pedc New Member

yeh if it goesinto safe mode the car doesnt go past 50 mph ......i had an old a3 tdi that used to have a problem and would go into this limp mode but wouldnt go past 50 mph ....and im not getting this in the s3!!
  15. motfree

motfree Member

Mines doing the same £65 to 180 miles taking it easy aswel .. Ive had a recent service and been told could be the fuel sender .. As my gauge sometimes goes from empty to full etc
  16. pedc

pedc New Member

no getting any probs we the guages dude but il take note of it the same as i will with tufftys comment!!
    cheers
  17. jdas03

jdas03 Member

Also check the MAF, i changed that and the thermostat as both were dodgy getting 35mpg now on longer motorway journeys no problem at all!
  18. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

You should be getting 28-32 Average depending on how you drive it, if its all short journeys or you have a lead foot then 25 is not unrealistic, 15 mpg is definately a problem, and you're best getting it on VAG-COM to check it out, as others have said Temp sensor and thermostat common problem, and a dodgy MAF can also cause problems as I had this problem myself (26 mpg best) and a new MAF worked wonders. good luck.
  19. Dane

Dane Faster than a V12 Q7

20. Alex C

Alex C Well-Known Member

mm yes, mine is 24.3 mpg. It used to be up at 29. The stat has been changed so i dont know whats up. I did get an EGT error a few weeks back, but i cleared it and the engine management light hasnt returned since.
  21. steve bain

steve bain Member

mines a 1.8t 150bhp AGU engine and i get 30+mpg. I would say to get as low as 15mpg you have a more serious problem. getting it checked on vagcom makes sense as it may highlight a problem straight away. where does your temperature gauge stop at? i don't think a service would make enough of a difference of 15mpg, it must be something faulty somewhere.
  22. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

Tuffty how do you see what temp the ECU is seeing? My MPG is now in the 23's and i think the car is running rich because i can smell quite a bit a petty these days out of the exhaust! It does drink alot quicker than it used to when i put my foot down a little bit.
  23. <tuffty/>

VAGCOM mate...

<tuffty/>
  24. s3Tormaline

s3Tormaline Member

Mine only gets an indicated 20mpg around town(true 18mpg) but will do 37 on a good run.
  25. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

Cheers mate, was thinking the liquid gauge could do something but maybe not then!
  26. <tuffty/>

Not sure which blocks the Liquid uses for engine temp mate... may use the dash one but I would think he uses the ECU block for engine temp so it 'should' give the difference... I don't know for sure as not having the problem I cannot test..

<tuffty/>
  27. DJ_Troopa

DJ_Troopa K1 Driver

Cool, will keep an on eye on engine temps on the LG and dial gauge. Will test this on the way home from work today.
  28. dany2k

dany2k Member

hiya mate, from my experience, coolant temp sender, maf sensor and lambda sensor could be just one of the three. like above tho, vagcom is probably going to be your best friend.
  29. thegoal007

thegoal007 Another S3 owner....

Short trips could also well result in 15mpg.................although it does sound kinda low.
  30. its_neil

its_neil Member

I've had my S3 about a year and I can't think of a time a tank hasn't been between 25-30 MPG average.
  31. pedc

pedc New Member

hey dudes iv just read that if 1 of the lambda sensor should fail then this would illuminate a light on the dash ....which it hasnt ..........anybody know a way of checkin if the maf sensor is still workin???
    cheers dude
    ped
  32. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

egt sensor won't throw a light up but will be responsible for **** mpg, at least mine hasn't shown a light.
  33. pedc

pedc New Member

also guys forgot theres a smell of fuel from the car aswel ?????never ending lol!!
    cheers
  34. superkarl

superkarl MAN OF STEEL

running very rich then. everything that could be said was ssaid in post 12
  35. <tuffty/>

Use VCDS (VAGCOM)... its the best 200 odd quid you can invest... fault finding on these cars is pretty much limited until you have something like VCDS due to the nature of them...

You are currently guessing at possible causes of the problem and until you check for fault codes its pointless just replacing everything... get the car scanned for codes 'then' start from there... there is no need to start a new thread with the same title either...

Post up the fault codes when done...

<tuffty/>