1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi S3 headlight washers dont work. Is there a relay?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by leess3, Aug 11, 2011.

1. leess3

leess3 New Member

Hi, My headlight washers have stoped working. I have checked the fuse but that is fine and i have put power to the pump and that is fine. there is no power going to the pump. Is there a relay for this? and has anyone got a diagram for the relay box? Thank you
  2. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Just confirm that you are trying it with the headlights on, not just the sidelights - the main headlights need to be on, otherwise they will not work.
    yellow s3 likes this.
  3. S4 Muzza

S4 Muzza oww! my giant blue head!

mine dont work either and haven't since i got the car, doesnt really bother me though. the sloution? a damp cloth every now and again, jobs a good'un! :icon_thumright:
  4. talentwalsh

talentwalsh Member

No relay, they work off the pressure from the water. There is a slight delay while your waiting for the pressure to build. If they still dont work its probable the pump in the washer bottle itself is gone.
  5. leess3

leess3 New Member

hi sorted it 2day there is a relay its under the dash on the drivers side in position 5 n 6, its brown colour relay. It is a multifunctional relay that controls the headlight washer and wipers. It is about £30 from audi. I will post the part no. If anyone wants it but it is on the relay. Now its all fixed
  6. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

Nice one glad your sorted...i think they burn out in sub zero temps when everthing is frozen,
  7. rob irl tdi

rob irl tdi Member

Anybody else had this?

Would it come up in a vcds scan?
  8. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Nope...

<tuffty/>
  9. vfr800

vfr800 Member

I've got this.

Fuse ok, pump seems ok, no voltage at all gets sent to the headlight pump. :(
  10. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Mine was like this and a new pump sorted it, although i never checked the voltage butthe pump was shot to ****.
  11. vfr800

vfr800 Member

When I can find an appropriate bit of wire I'm going to apply voltage directly to the pump to make sure that's ok, but my tests show the car is sending no voltage to the pump - ignition and headlights on, fuses checked.

I already have a new pump just in case.

I think it's the relay, but I don't know which one. I have two part numbers for relays which might be the culprit 4B0 955 531 E and 8L0 955 535. I need to take the cover off to see what relays I actually have.

I'd really like a proper wiring diagram for this car so I don't have to guess all the time.

Liam