Audi S3 Gearbox oil and rear diff ?

Daniel Thomson

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,
Im new to this and own a Audi s3 I need to do know
what oil does the geabox use ?, any links to what best oil to buy and how much would i need ?
And does the front diff use the shares the same oil with the gearbox ?

Allso what oil does the rear diff use aswell and how much does it use ?

All help would be great and any links to where to buy the oil from good oil,

Thanks

i used some redline mt90 for mine

rear diff will take about a litre, gearbox and front diff about 2.8 litres............ an easy job if the car is in the air.

Last edited:
Ok thanks Guys whats other tools would i need to gearbox oil change and the rear diff oil change I have a very good jack and 2 stands can this still be done ?.

All help would be great as im new to the Audi s3

Kind regards

Last edited:
sorry - mistake - rear diff takes about 1.6 as above

basically 5 litres did the lot with some spare, make sure you get gl4 for the gearbox as gl5 can damage the brass bits on the gearbox, you can use gl5 in the rear diff but i did not bother.

i'd also recommend you get a syringe and tube as it's virtually impossible to do it without one!

when i did it i jacked the car up on 2 jacks and then undid the filler plug first (to make sure i could as didnt want to empty it out and not be able to fill it up) i then undid the bottom plug and let it drain. as it was draining i let the car down so it was level to try and get as much of the old stuff out as possible.

When filling i did it with the car on the ground my dad helped as i guided a long pipe in the filler hole he had the oil attached at the other end of the pipe. I got about 2 litres in and then went for a 5 min drive and then got another 500ml in as this is when it started to come out of the filler hole.

Thanks guys for the replys, Im a bit confused opie oils said
75w-90w rear diff - 1 Liters ?
75w-80w gearbox oil inch the front diff - 3 Liters?
5w-40w Engine oil 4.5 Liters ?

Then other people say different can someone correct this please as i need to order new oil tomoro,
So when the hole fills up with oil and it comes out, I just stop and put the nut back onto the gearbox ?

Cheers guys

i bought mobil 1 new life 0w 40 for the engine as you need 4.5 litres and it comes in a 5l can.

I got 3 litres of the castrol i linked to before 75w 90 for the gearbox and diff as its all in 1.

if you order over £50 from opie oils its free P+P

When filling the gearbox after emptying it all out get about 2l in and then put the plug in go for a drive round the block as you need it to fill the diff then come back and take the plug out and get as much more in as you can till it starts to dribble out of the fill hole and then put the plug in.

Technically there is a manufacturer specified difference in weights front 75w90 to rear 75w80 so technically opie is correct. Although your 10+ year old diff and all gears for that matter will benefit from having the slightly thicker 90 weight version anyway. After much research and deliberation I went for the cheapest fully synthetic 75w90 oil i could get my hands on. As you car will benefit more from mulitple changes in its lifetime than splashing out on some overpriced overrated oil as a once off. I changed front and rear for £40 with this, I challenge anyone to justify a better argument. Total Transmission FE 75W90 Manual Gear Box Oil 1 Litre | Gear Box Oil

thanks for the info now i understand it now,
So how much oil would i need for the rear diff people say 1L some say 1.6 L ?

Hi Dave ,
When i changed my rear diff oil i was told it would only need 1 ltr which i bought genuine from audi . However on draining i kept all of the old oil i found it was more like 1.2 ltrs . So ended up topping up with some of the old oil , which even after 75k was still pretty golden . Hope this helps ,

Ant :)

Ok thanks, why people using using 0w-40 when opie oils say to use 5-40w ?
whats the best grade to use

My s3 has 43,000 miles

thanks

my fluid values are as follows

Engine - Castrol Edge 5w30 - 1 x 4l 1 x 1l (with some spare) - £50
Gearbox / front diff - Redline MT90 GL4 75w90 - 3 x 1qt (some spare) - £60
Rear Diff - Redline MT90 GL4 75w90 - 1 x 1qt + spare from above - £20
Haldex - Audi specifiic - 375ml if i can remember correct (basically the whole tube of what they give you) - £20
Brake / Clutch Fluid - Motul 600 - 2 x 500ml (from an empty brake and clutch system) - £30
Coolant - Whatever - 1 x 5l - £10
Power steering - Audi specific - 1 x 1l - £11

qt is american it's about 940ml,

0w40 vs 5w40 = depends on the country you live in, you'd have to do some reading online, but bascally it's how think the oil is when cold or something

with the gear box, if you actually lift it a little on one side, you can get away with driving it around and refilling it

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going to use 75-90 for the gearbox and for the rear diff do you think that is ok ?

I was always told that 5-30 was ok for the s3? So it's 5-40?

5-40 is the manufacturer recommended spec. you can use lower viscosities like 5-30 and 0-40 and prob get away with it if you have a tight engine. but most of these engines are nearing or way past 100k, so unless you want to have to monitor and top up the oil between changes which you will enevitably have to do running thin oil, then stick with the recommended stuff. The cons of running thin oil on a daily driver outweigh the pros.

Hi, I am struggling with the oil filler for the transmission. I can see an "18" in the hex bolt filler plug (where the dirt rubbed off when I was trying different tools), but a 14 hex bit is too big and a 12 hex bit it too small.

does this need to use a tamperproof spline bit, even-though it is a hex bit shape? and if so is it an M18 Tamperproof? the guide looks like they used a 1/2 inch bolt head instead? and m16 tamperproof bits seem to be the common size.

Thanks for any details

Holy 5 year thread bump , loving the confusion #21 re thin oil .

Reactions: PantherS3