Audi S3 Front Suspension Spring Change Questions

richardshoes

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm planning to fit new front suspension springs to an 8L S3.
How difficult is this job? Are there any special tools or procedures required?
Thank you,

Like anything it's easy with the correct tools and experience.

There are a few gotchas I found.
1) the top mounts
2) hub spreader
3) compressing the springs

1 you will need a cranked neck ring spanner OR socket which you can hold and put a 7mm Allen key through. Have a look at the top mount (open the bonnet it's the top nut on the strut) and see if you have tools to do this.

2 to remove the strut from the hub you need to remove the hub *strut clamp* bolt (easy) and then spread the hub to release the strut. There are special tools you can buy to spread this (costs less than a tenner) but I found they don't work too well and the end of a 1/4 inch socket knocked in and twisted 45degrees work far better. IMHO.

3 I was being a pussy and didn't compress the springs enough when I did this this the first time, I gave up and tried again another day and found it far easier to remove the struts after manning up and compressing the springs.

You will need a general set of jack, axles stands, spanners, sockets and a torque wrench plus spring compressors.

Also a 3/8" < 1/4" socket adapter (Laser 0950 Convertor Set includes one) to use in lieu of a hub spreader (Laser 3396 Strut Nut Tool), spanner/socket for the top nut and a long 7mm allen socket for the top nut.

If you're doing this change your top mounts and bearings at the same time to save doing this in the near future. Oem parts are only £30 and you have to remove and refit them as part of this process anyway.

Torque everything up correctly (using new bolts where appropriate) else you'll risk winning a Darwin Award.

Use google, all this is pretty well documented in this forum and others and posting a question because you didn't do a little research or read the stickies/faqs will mean you won't get very many answers.

Where are you located?

Last edited:
IMG 0447
Here's one fitted. Wasn't too bad.