Audi S3 Front Mount Intercooler

No its **** and over priced. Just look in the stickies and buy a wellycooler. Also that ebay kit is **** fitting and a nightmare to retain the fogs.

I used same set-up as vrbob, check his thread out he lists all u need for fmic set-up & westy s is another good thread to, all in under £230

Yup, i ised 76mm to 63mm reducing 90's and ive kept the fogs, its ****** tight and takes abit or patience and trimming but its do able

I bougt everything from ebay mate, wellycooler was ebay and the pipes where from either apmotorstores or mr silicone, both ebay companys and both sell the exact same stuff but they sell it at different prices so best to compare them.

From memory mate:

2x76-63mm reducing silicone elbow
2x63mm silicone elbow
2x63mm alloy elbow
1x63mm alloy joiner

then about a dozen or so 60-80mm higrip jubilee clips, think thats about it.

That kit you linked looks like a copy of the Forge set up.
Mine is also in the Sticky, I will be going bigger but also fully intend to keep my fogs.

Welly cooler all the way mate :). Have you seen mine yet?

Nah mate i havent.
Im not sure one that big is needed to be fair. will see though,
What are the welly cooler sizes?

600x300x76mm. For what it cost mate, it was rude not to go this big.

I think personaly thats a bit too big.
While ive got a hybrid on anyway,

Nice one dani I'll have a look into it and see where I get with it.
Just got my relentless mani, downpipe and sportscat through so wanna start getting the car rolling.

Olly

Thats my point andy... yours has much bigger lungs than a little K04
Im going bigger but not that big.
I still want mine to look OEM+

Olly, I havent seen your car at your house for a while??
Mind i do only pass about twice a week now.

dani do you know the length of the intercooler pipes as its asking me on Mr Silicone and AP Motorsport for the length of the pipe. I should be pretty much sorted with everything then and should be just a case of getting it booked in with Bill or another decent tuner. Olly

im now lookng into the wellycooler too after the ebay one listed above i brought went in for stage 2 and gained only 8bhp! r-tech tried turning up the boost but the cooler was at maximum air flow.

so because of this i am interested in the pipe lengths listed too. :)

Only just seen this mate. I think their 150mm each side but dont quote me, when i ordered all mine their wasnt the option of what length i wanted, they were just generic.

Ah v2 tuffty cooler :)
AE443C1D-5C0B-46D0-B6B1-F3CE09D58440-3051-0000048596FA2C05_zpsdbb9e794.jpg
CEED1032-2291-4BCD-91BF-C41F374558F4-3051-0000048583EC7171_zps7df41525.jpg
89C96EA7-0B02-43B5-9BC3-52A879785C6C-3051-000004857B8B8AC4_zps37dd12e0.jpg
8780382B-AA2B-4FF3-A02C-35BA8CEB33A5-3051-00000485730D71C7_zps867a5bd8.jpg

Reactions: Mav190sline
2x 63, 90 silicone bends
1x 63, 100mm silicone straight
2x 63, 135 degree allow bends

ps, **** tyres on front are gone lol

Reactions: Mav190sline and Turbo Tom 1138
this is the cooler im intrested in ;-) how was the bumper to get back on?

Any noticeable gains?

matt

Reactions: nailer
this is the cooler im intrested in ;-) how was the bumper to get back on?

Any noticeable gains?

matt
Had to get it as close to the air con rad as poss within reason then trim the back of the bumper and grills a bit but I'm very happy with how it looks and I've still got the fogs and grills so its a big thanks to tuffty bill and then Lars at ah fab for there time and effort with it, will put a pick up tomo when I've fixed the middle grill after smashing a pigeon at 60 on the way home earlyer grrr......
gain wise, no more noticeable lag and holds power for much longer.

What are the dimensions of the 'Wellcooler' I've seen a few on ebay but i'm not sure what dimensions i need to get.

Technically the same thing.... although from the pics it looks like a tube and fin or extruded core rather than the bar and plate of the welly cooler... no bad thing of course

<tuffty/>

Technically the same thing.... although from the pics it looks like a tube and fin or extruded core rather than the bar and plate of the welly cooler... no bad thing of course

<tuffty/>

Will the difference in the design be apparent in the performance of each intercooler and the way they function?

Do they operate in a different way?

Managed to find the original Toyosports Wellycooler on their website. I have placed the pics below of each cooler for comparison:

Ebay intercooler:

Ebay FMIC

Toyosports intercooler:

Toyosports

Both similar pricing.....based on the good feedback i have seen on the toyosports intercooler, i would be tempted to go for that as the pricing isn't much different from the ebay intercooler.

Which would you go for?

I'd go for an AH Fabs V2 but out of the ebay ones there isn't going to be much difference tbh...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Mav190sline
I'd go for an AH Fabs V2 but out of the ebay ones there isn't going to be much difference tbh...

<tuffty/>

Totally appreciate why you would go for the AH fabs V2 intercooler. However, i'm not looking at spending big money on either chasing power figures nor major engine work so i think for my purpose....a wellycooler will be more than adequate, as is probably the same for a few members on here. Surely better than OEM SMIC's?

You got me interested in the difference of design, and i found this:

Tech: Bar & Plate vs. Tube & Fin Intercoolers - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com

Basically, the Toyosports seems the better product given the right size is chosen to suit the requirements.

I would go fit the wellycooler
type this item number in eBay 310228624694 it's the toyosports

Cheers mate.

Last edited:
Bill uses wellycoolers in builds with great results mate... never said they weren't any good :)

<tuffty/>

<tuffty/> apologies to bring up a old topic, im going to buy the Toyosports wellycooler but was going to get some 63mm 90 degree bends welded to the ends so I can create the same set up as the ah Fabs v2 intercooler, by chance do you know how far out the bends need to be? below is what I was going to use the below
RadPipe

To create:
Rad 1

Cheers for the response, is it possible/has anyone retained the fogs using a 600x300x68 front mount set up, and if so what silicone hoses were used at the ends of the welly cooler

In mine you can keep the fog lights but the grills will need modifying and I have already cut a load of the bumper out - I should have got an AIRTEC I have so many spare hoses, connectors, clamps and pipes now, I could open my own shop.
Also I could not get the bumper back in its original lugs as I didn't remove the oil cooler or change the radiator position.