1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi S3 cam chain failure

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by BurgoS3, May 30, 2013.

1. BurgoS3

BurgoS3 New Member

[May 30, 2013]
    Hi all this is my first post on here so I'm sorry if something like this has been posted before. I recently bought a 2007 S3 with 77000miles on it with full Audi service history. It had also had a new turbo, clutch and flywheel 500 miles before I got it. It was from a private dealer who offered me 3 months warranty for the engine and gear box. After having the car 6 days the car seemed to stall and then the dreaded 3 tone oil pressure light came on, I pulled over straight away and it sounded like someone had swapped my engine with a tractors one.

I called the dealer and he arranged for a low loader to come and collect the car the next day and said that he would honour the warranty and we both suspected it was the oil pump. After 2/3 days of trying to contact the garage I got through to them to be told the cam chain had snapped and I was told that they where going to put a reconditioned engine in. I told them I was sceptical about this but they can go ahead with it and if I'm not happy with the paperwork or anything I'd be wanting my money back. I was told the new engine would also come with 12 months warranty. I called the garage a couple of days ago for an update an they told me that they have been unable to find an engine so they are reconditioning the original one. Which I would prefer as I know the history etc, has anybody had an engine reconditioned then had problems after it. I'm thinking of walking away from the car, does anybody have any advice on this from the legal side of this, it's now 3 weeks since I bought it
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. 37

37 Member

[May 30, 2013]
    Welcome to the forums.

I am not 100% sure about legal side of it and I'm sure someone here will be able to shed some more light on that. My view is that even though they are honoring the warranty, I would walk away from it unless they are going to Audi for it. I only left a high spec and slightly lower miles A3 from a private dealer because he had done the cambelt himself and this is exactly why I didn't go for it. All the best.
  4. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[May 30, 2013]
    Hi there and welcome.

Sorry it's on this sort of note that you've joined!

I wouldn't personally have a problem with a rebuilt engine IF its been done properly by someone who knows what's he's doing.

Pistons,rods,valves etc can all be seriously damaged by cambelt failures and this needs to be done well.
  5. percymon

percymon Member

[May 30, 2013]
    ^^^ what he said :rock:
  6. jaydav2306

jaydav2306 Member

[May 30, 2013]
    Does the S3 have a cam chain or a cam belt???
  7. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[May 30, 2013]
    I'd be tempted to walk in all honesty!

I once had a "New" engine in a (non Audi) previous car - installed by a main dealer! They did a job a cowboy would be proud to hang his hat on, scraped paint, damaged exhaust pipes then charged me for new Cats (x3), fubar'd the water pump (which blew itself apart a week after the car was returned), damaged the bulkhead sound-proofing so badly they threw it away and neglected to replace it - until I complained.

It was a nightmare experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, you've only had the car a week so there shouldn't be any emotional attachments, get your money back or choose a different car from the same dealer if you wish - But I personally wouldn't accept it in your shoes.
  8. jaydav2306

jaydav2306 Member

[May 30, 2013]
    Yeah I would be +1 on the money back, cambelt should have been done after 5 years max, if it was my motor I would have done it way before too, to me it says the car hasnt been very well looked after
  9. Ads

Ads License to drive

[May 30, 2013]
    I'd be asking for my money back.

Within a week of owning a car it suffers one of the most savage failures it can suffer. It might be bad luck but... uh uh... I'm not interested, money back please. Cheers.
  10. BlueSpark

BlueSpark 6th Gear

[May 30, 2013]
    +1 Money Back please and walk away.
  11. bmh.01

bmh.01 Member

[May 30, 2013]
    Both. Belt between crank and exhaust cam and chain between exhaust and inlet. Been a VAG 16v trick for years.
  12. Staz

Staz is a retronaut Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[May 30, 2013]
    +1 for a refund. It's just not worth the risk.
  13. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

[May 30, 2013]
    +2, refund me please.
  14. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[May 30, 2013]
    Refund.

Plenty of other cars to choose from.
  15. davc

davc Foursprung Duck Technik

[May 30, 2013]
    Welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your woes.

I was in the same boat as you when I bought my S3 (albeit not as unlucky), however the warranty plus a goodwill payment from the dealer paid for the issues to be rectified.

You are well within your rights to reject the car, IIRC you have 6 months to do this. If the dealer refuses get on to Trading Standards via the CAB (citizen's advice) for breach of contract as the car really is not fit for purpose If you paid part of the asking price (deposit perhaps) with a credit card, then you can also use Section 75 to claim back your money.

Good luck.
  16. crunchie

crunchie Active Member

[May 30, 2013]
    My MK2 16v has both, must be one of the 1st ones.

I'd be getting my money back personally!
  17. RedDejavu

RedDejavu Well-Known Member

[May 31, 2013]
    if they cant provide a new engine then walk away bro. Good luck!
  18. S3Alex

S3Alex Rarely neutral

[May 31, 2013]
    If you decide to stick with the car,I'd have a very close look at the terms of the warranty,and find out exactly what you are entitled to in terms of the engine,and either replacement or "fixing" it.

My biggest concern would be that you don't know the quality standard that they will be working to,or what parts they will use,and the longer this drags on,the poorer the chances of it being sorted to your satisfaction.

S3 8P engines are hard to come by used,but there is at least one on ebay right now,and on most occasions I've looked,so I'm not sure they tried awfully hard on that score.
  19. audigex

audigex Active Member

[May 31, 2013]
    I'd take a refund and walk away
  20. BurgoS3

BurgoS3 New Member

[Jul 17, 2013]
    So I agreed with the dealer that the original could be reconditioned. The engine was sent away and came back and was fitted to the car, no less than 7 weeks after it broke down. Upon start up in the garage oil pissed out of the head, the gasket had been incorrectly fitted. I have now walked away from the car and have received a full refund. So the hunt for a s3 begins got around 15k to spend, hopefully better look second time around
    Artimus likes this.
  21. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

[Jul 17, 2013]
    Don't go to mk motors derby then but I don't suppose lightening strikes twice.
  22. Artimus

Artimus Short Back

[Jul 17, 2013]
  23. DarkBunny

DarkBunny Active Member

[Jul 17, 2013]
    Money back and walk away. If you leave it too long you'll lose your right to walk away from the sale.
  24. BurgoS3

BurgoS3 New Member

[Aug 14, 2013]
    Going looking at a car on Friday, luckily I've had a bit of a windfall from work and have been able to up the budget to 20-22 k so I'm able to find one still under manufacturers warranty
  25. A3_Mayhem

A3_Mayhem New Member

[Aug 14, 2013]
    At least you've emerged from the deal with a refund AND some additional money to spend via the windfall.

I've been in a similar situation previously (with a car requiring a total engine rebuild... not a windfall, unfortunately), and in my experience, if things aren't handled correctly (in my case, the garage could have given John Wayne a run for his money), the whole situation can become all-consuming and very, very stressful.

Enjoy the hunt for a new motor and good luck.
  26. jaydav2306

jaydav2306 Member

[Aug 14, 2013]
    You will get a good one for that money thats for sure.

Just out of interest what are the common causes for the 3 tone oil pressure light? Is it just lack of servicing?
  27. BurgoS3

BurgoS3 New Member

[Aug 20, 2013]
    Well I'm back on the road and have to say I'm even more delighted than I would be with the car that I got, 2 years old, 3 door black edition with 13k on the clock. Ill post pics soon