Audi S3 brake lines, replace/upgrade?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello hello.

Once I've finished refreshing the suspension (completion next Monday!), I will be focusing on other areas, the first being brakes, then more power ;)

The brake lines were an advisory on the last MOT, so the question is, replace like for like or take the opportunity to upgrade to braided? If so which, HEL/Goodridge? I heard mention of there being 6 parts require, not just four hoses...flexi-pipe or something?

All ideas and opinions welcome :)

Taken from the brake thread in the stickies:

BRAIDED BRAKE LINES

Braided Brake hoses
Braided brake lines don't expand or bulge out, therefore reduce pedal travel, and increase the force applied to the brakes. I have never tried braided lines before, I think they don't really do alot on modern cars (especially the golf) because the servo makes the pedal feel soft anyway. It is a FACT that they apply more power to the caliper, but the caliper can easily apply twice the amount of pressure to the discs than the tyres are capable of handling anyway, i mean unless you have a track car with wide slick tyres, these are not really necessary.

Saying that I have braided lines on my brembos cus thats what JoJo was selling lol.

I imagine that if you're keeping standard calipers the oem lines will do the trick and might be cheaper, but, I have no first hand experience this.

Thanks Dane, in that case I think I will get hold of some standard lines and weigh up the costs. They have lasted 74k and 8.5 years, so clearly last well.

Appreciate that Dave, I will weigh up the costs. Have you fitted them I take it? Any links for me chap??

wow thats a cheap Upgrade , I paid more than that for 3 lines for my bike , from personal experience tho Id go with Hel lines over goodridge finish seems to be better quality

Thanks Dave. I had a wee look on eBay and there seem to be two different parts, one for circa £45 (1997-2000), another for circa £90 (2001-2003).

Any ideas if this is just marketing or is it the case?

Thanks Dave. I had a wee look on eBay and there seem to be two different parts, one for circa £45 (1997-2000), another for circa £90 (2001-2003).

Any ideas if this is just marketing or is it the case?

Does anyone have the answer to this?