1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi S3 Battery dead'ish

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Essflee, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Essflee

Essflee Well-Known Member

[Apr 29, 2012]
    Hi,

Does anybody know how much voltage is needed to start an S3, I bought a new battery last year because the old one had died, well now this one is giving me problems, went to start the car yesterday after not driving it for a few days and it didn't have enough juice to turn over, I'm guessing that something is draining the battery whilst the car is sat locked up, just been and bought a battery charger from halfords and when I hooked it up it's showing the battery as having 13.7 volts, after doing some reading up on the Internet I'd of thought this was enough to start my car ?

Has anybody else had problems with getting a flat battery ? Looking for ideas on what could be draining it, only thing I've checked so far is the lights in the boot, make sure they're going out, which they are.

Cheers for looking
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Mike B

Mike B Member

[Apr 29, 2012]
    If you say that its fully charged the its could be a connection.Check the terminals first and clean off any corrosion
  4. jcs356

jcs356 Brum brum

[Apr 29, 2012]
    Does the car have a tracker? That will drain a battery over a couple of weeks. I have to keep my Speedster on a trickle charger for that reason.

Only problem I had with the S3 and battery was with an aftermarket iPOD connector for the stereo that was causing a current drain.
  5. Essflee

[Apr 29, 2012]
    The terminals look ok cheers
  6. Essflee

[Apr 29, 2012]

I did wonder if it could be my phat box in the boot, it just plugs into the lead from the cd multi changer and there isn't a light on the box with the car switched off so not convinced its that.

Im going to try leaving the car in the garage unlocked and see if that improves things, thinking it might be something to do with the alarm, see if I bm an rule that out.

Going back to the charge, when I first plugged it in to charge it was showing 13.7 volts, however it only took 15 mins to charge and was showing 13.2 volts when finished, what's the lightly hood of a dodgy battery ?
  7. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Apr 29, 2012]
    Are you sure your starter is not getting lazy...? needing a refurb/new one
  8. Essflee

[Apr 29, 2012]
    No Dave, starter seems fine, once I'd recharged the battery which took all of 15 minutes, the car started instantly on the turn of the key.
  9. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid

[Apr 29, 2012]
    You could do with testing to see if there is something draining it, have you an aftermarket stereo? these can cause problems
  10. Crazypete00

Crazypete00 Member

[Apr 30, 2012]
    i've been having issues with battery drain. do you have a multimeter? you need one that has at least a 10A setting. then look up on youtube at a parasitic battery drain test.

Doing the test you should find whats draining your battery - im in the process of doing the test now. so far ive narrowed it down to a cable in the fuse box on top of the battery. the cable marked in blue below is where i found my drain coming from, just need to find out what that cable feeds.

[​IMG]

sorry to hijack your thread, but does anyone know what that cable feeds?
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  11. Squirrelofdoom

Squirrelofdoom Member

[Apr 30, 2012]
  12. Essflee

[Apr 30, 2012]
    Thanks for the replies !

After charging the car yesterday, jumped in it early this morning and car wouldn't start again, steering wheel took a pounding, lol

Going to invest in a multimeter and see if I can find a drain, I've unplugged my phatbox in the boot to see if this makes a difference, when I do find the problem I'll post up.