Audi S3 8L - Bose Front Speakers Not Working

HamsterHam

Reaction score
Hi all,

My front Bose speakers do not work at all, both door speakers on each side.

Any suggestions how I can diagnose what the issue is?

I have cut the Bose ground cable and that has made the speakers that work a lot clearer.

Cutting the Bose ground cable wouldn't have anything to do with it would it?

Thanks

HamsterHam

I did post this in the ICE forum, no response though.

Hi,
I think you need to check the connections from the Amp if you have one or radio or even check your settings before opening up anything, something like "balance settings".

Cheers

Reactions: HamsterHam
Hi,

I checked my fader settings on my radio and that's fine. If I make it fully forward I get no sound.

Connections on the amp seem fine as far as I can tell.

Try interchanging the lines to the amp (input to the amp, the rear to the front & the front to the rear, you will know whether the am is fine or the lines from the source (radio, cd player etc) is the problem.

Do you know which ones to switch?

If it starts working then it's the amp right? If not then the wiring is knackered?

Yes.
Take a picture for the connections to the amp, then I will advise accordingly

Does cutting the bose cable make a noticeable difference?

cammage08

Uploadfromtaptalk1393314703228

Cheers for helping.

Cutting it makes a huge difference.

Thanks.. thats not your amp its at the other side of the car behind the cover.

cammage08

That's in my boot. I took the cover off. What do you mean? Sorry for not understanding.

What's that then?

Edit: That's the sub box obviously.

Where's the amp then?

Your amp is at the opposite side. You can just see the top of it when you drop the cover down.

cammage08

No i dont think so.. mine isnt. Its just bolted in place.

cammage08

The thing covered in foam will be your central locking pump. Like the guys said, it's on the drivers side boot access panel. Black metal thing, can't miss it.

Have the speakers ever worked for you? I yes, did they crackle a lot before dieing? The reason I ask is because mine crackled loads before dieing and I need to get a new amp. The issue is with the solder on the amp. After 10+ years of use the solder gets hot and cold and basically cracks and causes dry joints. I managed to find an OE amp on eBay for about £60 that had never been fitted to a car and was old stock. Sorted my problem out straight away.

Reactions: HamsterHam and cammage08
Cheers for helping people! Much appreciated.

I'll check when back from work.

They were faint I think when I got the car.

I'll take a picture of the amp when home. The switch method will test if it's the amp.

Yes get it out and swap the wires over. Im not sure which you need to swap without looking into it.

Okay, I've learnt I need a toolkit with all the parts! I'll keep you all posted as I'll try get it out tomorrow night.

I have the same issue with my drivers side speaker it sounds like its farting. I had a garage take a look and they swapped the passenger side speaker into the drivers and it worked perfectly. I bought a 2nd hand bose speaker fitted it and soon realised that speaker was blown so for now I have given up until the company I bought the speaker from finds a working one for me. I never checked the amp for dodgy connections but it would seem in my case its the speaker itself

I've removed the nut can't pull it out though! Arghhh

It wobbles back and forth but not up.

Last edited:
You need to remove the four springy hook things by the boot floor edges. Then the black plastic floor boot lip trim that surrounds the lock catch. Then you can start removing the plastic carpeted trim. Once that's done, you can access the remaining bolts that hold the amp in. Will take you about an hour if you've not done before. There is probably a DIY guide on here somewhere.

Thank you all for your help! I'll have to do that at the weekend. Will keep you all posted.

phil08, I doubt it's my speakers as none of them work (left and right). I'll check them via the amp and go from there.

Theirs a small screw if you look up above the amp inside the hole which needs taking out, although it doesn't really do very much and then it needs a good pull from the bottom corner nearest the boot and it will release and you don't need to pull it all off, just enough to get your hand in to undo the nut, then you can lift the amp up and out.I re-soldered my amp a little while back, but I need a new speaker.

I've removed the nut you can see in my picture. I take it there are screws at the bottom holding it in? I'll have to do what s3mad_dude said.

Theirs two more nuts at the bottom if I remember right and I was referring to removing the rest of the side panel to get at them.

Right. I'm still a little confused. I'll have a go at removing the side panel so I can remove the amp nuts.

I got a picture from when I removed the otherside to get the sub and changer out at the weekend, might explain what I was on about a bit better.

A3Bosesubremoved_zps5b0e238e.jpg

Reactions: HamsterHam and Westy
Ooo, makes sense now! I will get my mate to do it as he owns a garage. Will keep you all posted on what I conclude is the issue (AMP, Wiring or speakers).

Fixed. Supposedly there was bad wiring. He also said he had to fix the ground wire I cut as that makes the front speakers work. Odd.

Reactions: cammage08 and Westy