audi s3 8l 2Xfans advice

oldcar

Reaction score
Hi guys, one of my radiator fan(one on the right) is not spinning as pointed out last year while recharging the aircon gas-after I fixed the pipe.

The fan on the right is not spinning either aircon on or off. But people told me that you have a big FMIC in the front, this is why the second fan is not either faulty/or needed. To be honest my car(touch wood) never overheated even in summer. I have bought a spare fan for the replacement. But before I do so, I want to make sure if its the fan motor or rely faulty. Do you think if I undo the plug from the bottom, and connect 12v battery to see if it turns. If does, can some one locates the rely or so I can replace it. IF fan does not turn, you reckon I can remove the fan from top(removing 3 bolts) without disconnecting radiator host. Has anyone done the fan replacement??-the one on the right. Many
Audi s3 8l fan
Many Thanks

But people told me that you have a big FMIC in the front, this is why the second fan is not either faulty/or needed.
Thats funny right there lol.... gotta love the experts :)

Fans and FMIC's are completely unrelated... the fans are there to control coolant temps and assist the aircon process in slow moving traffic... this is why the fans run at low speed all the time aircon is on or when coolant temps hit 96 degrees...

Intercoolers are passive... they rely on air passing through the fins for the heat exchange process to work... having a large FMIC won't keep coolant temps down... that is what the fans are for :)

Anyhoo... normally to test fans you pull the plug on the fan switch thats located on the radiator (battery side half way up the end tank)... its a three pin plug for low/high speed... its this switch that has overriding control of the fans as it will see the actual water temps... there is a fan control unit that allows relevant modules a degree of control over the fans too (aircon being one)...

Can't remember the pin outs off hand but one will be a 12v feed... buzz it out with a meter to see if there is 12v there... the other two will be feeds to the fans... buzz 12v into each in turn to see if the fans turn...

Generally speaking both fans should turn... if one isn't then chances are is faulty... have seen a fair few of these fail so my money is on that..

I believe you can also buzz them out at the bottom connector but tbh I have never done that myself...

I have changed fans without draining anything before... its awkward but doable

<tuffty/>

Reactions: oldcar
thanks Tuffty. You are really good. I appreciated. You saved my time-no bottom plug. I am looking for battery side tips you mentioned.-I think I saw the 3 ping plug you mentioned, its in my picture-orange one correct??? right in the center. Let me fiqure it out this week and update.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Tuffty. You are really good. I appreciated. You saved my time-no bottom plug. I am looking for battery side tips you mentioned.-I think I saw the 3 ping plug you mentioned, its in my picture-orange one correct??? right in the center. Let me fiqure it out this week and update.

Wrong one... thats the bonnet alarm switch... fan switch will be above the wiring you were on about earlier... you can get to it from the top though

<tuffty/>

Reactions: oldcar
thanks Tuffty. I will check it out tonight.

I found it its on the rh side . very tight space, I tested the wire and it spins. This means car is superefficient, the main fan(big one) dnt even needed to switch on even at hot summer heat . heeeeee, thanks Tuffty and Audi.....