audi rust spots

yendall24

Reaction score
correct me if i am wrong but why do audis have such a good reputation for there body work quality i was washing my car today it is an a4 x reg 2001. and i noticed a few rust bubbles on the bottom of the drivers door about 3 inches up so i gave the car a good going over and found the same problem on all the doors and the rear tailgate. is this unusual. my mate at work as a r reg renault megan and his body work is totaly rust free what pees me off is i care for my car it gets regularly polished but hes as never seen a bucket of water let alone polish. have i been unlucky or are there more youngish audis out there with signs of rust

It stikes me the later ones semm worse that the early ones, my 98 is still rust free. There are specific spots that pick up on the facelift like the boot trim and the rear door c paiilar trims, not really heard about doors and such going. However as long as its not been painted before, i think the anti corrosion warrenty is ten years on these isnt it?

My 2000 W reg saloon is at lot worse body wise than my 96 Avant. Think some of it was caused by the use of the ali trims bits like the boot handle / c-piller which have bubbled.

this rust is not caused by different metals reacting with each other the rust on the doors is not near any trim also found rust on both front wheel arches. when i was doing some research before i bought it what car said body corrosion is not an issue on these vehicles yeh right jap cars for me next time

Our car is a '96 and there's not a spot of rust on it. Its done 170k too and its certainly not been pampered.

Even the front wing, which the previous owner had smacked off something and cracked the paint off its lower edge, is still rust free bar some very light surface browning and its been like that for nearly a year.

Trying to suggest jap cars are any better makes me laugh, as i see far more jap cars of similar age as our car driving around with rotten arches/doors/tailgates etc than you do Audi's

this rust is not caused by different metals reacting with each other the rust on the doors is not near any trim also found rust on both front wheel arches. when i was doing some research before i bought it what car said body corrosion is not an issue on these vehicles yeh right jap cars for me next time

I mean't the black ali trim bits on mine are bubbling, not the bits where they meet the paint work.

I have a 98 A4 SE mine's only done 100k it's completely clean not a spot on it, it has been sat in a dry garage for the last two years though.

My '98 52k Sport is so clean that I felt really guilty giving the nice lady the meagre amount I paid for it... Having said that, the '92 126k Saab 9000 I had before still didn't show any rust at all! Anywhere!

Cars are lovely.

mine a a4 p reg and i got rust on both front arches, bottom sills near the fron arches and where the door hinges are rusty as hell and got small bubbles on rear arches rest is mint the underneath is pristine. Its not the worst car ive had for the rust but not the best. i think mine done lot of motoway driving bonnet is rusty down the edges and stone chipped to hell.

My '99 model (Nov'98 build) Avant could pass for a 3-4 year old car no problem, no sign of rust anywhere, and its not garaged either so doesn't lead a pampered life......
Only corrosion on entire car is on the windscreen surround and a tiny bit on a rear door window frame, all of these parts are aluminium/alloy though I think?........

mine a a4 p reg and i got rust on both front arches, bottom sills near the fron arches and where the door hinges are rusty as hell and got small bubbles on rear arches rest is mint the underneath is pristine. Its not the worst car ive had for the rust but not the best. i think mine done lot of motoway driving bonnet is rusty down the edges and stone chipped to hell.
Yup. '97 R... Was a bit of a tea bag whe I got. Two new fronts, one rear wheel arch fixed. Next is the lower door areas (all of them... damn rain catchers those lower door trims). The car was like this when I got it, the nose of the bonnet was a mess too, I can only asume that it had done the length and breadth of Brittain.

in my opinion the milage should not realy make a difference ok if its done mega miles on the motorway you could expect the front of the bonnet to have stone chips .but my problem is the doors all of them and all below the centre bump strip this is a 7 year old audi dont get me wrong i love audis this is my sixth one i have owned and mechanicaly its fine its covered 148000 miles its a 1.9tdi avant and runs great but i am disopointed with the quality of the body work. do you think its worth trying to make a claim under the anti corrosion warranty or is it a mine feild of conditions you have to satisfy