1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Phone Kit, Alpine Head Unit

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by , May 18, 2005.

1. Online

[May 18, 2005]
    I have had an Alpine N333RRS 1Din sat nav unti installed in my A3, with an iPod adapter as well - all of that works brilliantly - sound is sooo much better than the old 'Concert' unit even with the old speakers left in situ (amplified system - has subwoofer - but not Bose...).

However, I have an Audi phone kit which now doesn't connect through the head unit - something about not having the right connector, etc. It doesn't even mute the audio as the phone rings, which I don't understand since the head unit has a phone mute input - perhaps there isn't an appropriate adapter.

So - does anyone know of a way to connect the Audi phone kit to the Alpine head unit so that it all juts works as it should? The Apline Mobile Hub is no longer supported, apparently, and was only for Nokia phone kits anyway...

Failing that, the fitters have added a separate speaker for the phone but it is way too quiet - barely audible even with the engine off. Any way to amplify this (I'd prefer to be using the head unit for the job, but would settle for this if this is all I can do)? I definitely don't want to spend out on an aftermarket phone kit, so would be really keen to hear ideas about how to make this all work.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. audi5e

audi5e Member

[May 19, 2005]
    I use a Kenwood HU but imagine the general inputs/ouputs are the same or similar. First the phone mute wire simply needs a ground connection to put the HU into call mode. So unless the audi phone kit works differently it should have a wire which can go straight to the radio mute wire coming from your HU.

As for the sound, there are options. My HU has an Aux-in, though I have not used this since I am not sure of the levels, voltages, etc (my siemens phone kit simply uses a speaker out), I am also not sure if the radio switches automatically to the aux-in source when the phone rings/answers or if I have to manually switch the source??

The other option is to route the speaker out wire from your phone kit to ONE (otherwise you will lose stereo and might even damage the amp or HU) of the amped speakers/speaker channels (pre amplification), you can then use the volume control on the car kit/phone to turn this down to an acceptable level. Also leave the speaker that the fitters put in the car connected otherwise you won't get sound when the car is off.
  4. Online

[May 19, 2005]
    Thanks for that response - I'm slowly picking my way through this minefield!

Yes, the Audi kit has a wire for the phone mute, but it is part of an ISO connector block - I'll need the wiring diagram for the block to find out which wire it actually is, I guess. I'm pretty sure the Audi head unit had a wiring diagram for the connectors stuck on as a label - I'll check when I get home...

That should then mute the audio as the phone rings, right? At least that would inform me there was something happening, if nothing else.

I'm not certain that there is an Aux input for the head unit... the wiring diagram in the manual doesn't indicate there is one... except for the Ai-NET interface which in my case goes off to an iPod adapter unit.

Currently the speaker out wire is connected to this new speaker which has been fitted - the volume on it is exceptionally low - really struggle to hear it even in silence (it's as if the phone earpiece is the speaker). If I split this line and connect it in to the front speaker plugs from the back of the head unit, you think this will do the job? I would have thought the audio from the phone would have to go through the head unit to be amplified... but then again I know very little about all of this... :-(
  5. audi5e

audi5e Member

[May 19, 2005]
    It depends on the HU if it will accept the phone input (which is basically a speaker level output). If there is another input designed for a speaker level, then you will be able to link it up through the HU itself. If not then you will need to run the "speaker out" from the car kit to a speaker input on an amp (seperate from the HU and that has a speaker level input). If the amp does not have a speaker level input then you must run it to ONE of the front speakers. DO NOT wire it up to both at the same time, as you will lose your stereo effect, and on some HU/amps joining the left and right channels can blow the unit.

By the way, have you tried turning up the volume on your car kit? i.e. put the phone into the cradle, make a call and during the call turn the volume on the phone up full. (most mobile phones I have come across have a seperate volume for car kit use and normal use)
  6. Online

[May 19, 2005]
    OK - I think I can see what you are saying here... it's worth a test at any rate, I'd say! I'll try running a wire to a single speaker and see what happens.

I have the phone kit volume on full, and the audio from the speaker is like a whisper - as if the audio signal from the phone kit is not at all amplified, or powerful enough to drive the speaker in an meaningful way.
  7. audi5e

audi5e Member

[May 20, 2005]
    If you have turned the volume up full and still can't hear the sound, then there must be a problem with the car kit? it shouldn't be that soft?
  8. Online

[May 20, 2005]
    Yes - that's the next port of call!

I did think of a small amp as a solution, but I can't imagine I'm the first or only person to have come against this issue - I would have thought that it is possible to build a small wiring loom that connects to the audi kit and the head unit connectors to enable this all to just work - I would expect to lose things like the caller's number on the DIS and the word 'Phone' appearing on the head unit (no great loss)...

Thanks for staying with this one - I'll find out what the output levels are and post back as soon as I know.