Audi Phat-Noise thingy ??? !

S3BeemerBeater

Reaction score
Anybody got one of these? It's a sort of IPod/MP3 player which replaces the CD charger and can hold up to 500 cds! Comments please if you have one or have played with one - Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The phat-noise or phatbox is amazing. Ebay Germany and Ebay USA have them on at decent prices. It plugs directly into your cd changer connection in most all vw/audi trunks, and allows you to browse thousands of songs which you have downloaded to the catridge via usb cradle. You can customize them and catagorize them by albums, genre, or whatever you choose. And with the factory head unit you can skim through them and pick out the song you want. I am definatly pleased I bought it. I had the alpine 7897 mp3 player and i switched to this and im so much happier. If you want to pay a little less kenwood has a model out that is basically the same, but has a 10gb hard drive cartridge. You can purchase that at crutchfield.com (but you will pay out the ***)

Thats the price that Audi dealers are displaying in the showroom in the UK.

I have one, it's nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Never ceases to amaze my friends as to how many songs/albums I have at my finger tips, there's usually something in there that they like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I imported mine from a US dealer (c/o eBay), got stung for import duty and VAT, but it worked out cheaper than £699 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There'a a thread over in the ICE Forum discussing them.

* One of the forum admins might want to think about changing the title of that thread as it's a tad cryptic.

BTW, it's slightly to deep to fit in the LHS Boot (aka Trunk) Cubby Hole (where the CD Changer usually lives) and have the cubby-cover on in an A3/Golf.

The official Audi recommened install is to bolt it to the rear of one of the back seats or to the floor-trim in the boot (trunk). I stuck mine on top of the BOSE SubWoofer (Tupperware Box) with Sticky Pads and have left the cubby-cover off for now. I plan to get another cubby-cover and cut a hole in it so that the PhatBox will poke through, there's a guy did that with his Golf and it looks very tidy -> http://www.blaine-t.net/phatbox/

Mark.

Thing's ****** massive!!! Might just go for an Ipod. There's a conection kit out for them now where by you just plug it into the cd charger lead and operate it from the head unit (£200 cheaper too!).

Well I got one of these and there defo is a whine linked to engine revs/ alternator. I haven't as yet resolved it - had the unit nearly over a year.

alternator whine phatbox

I suggest you read carefully before you buy. Note also that is the longest running and most often viewed thread on their support forum.

Mark - have you tried keeping the volume high, whilst accelerating & changing track? You should hear the whine.

It does not in no way make my unit unuseable - just a little annoying to live with on long motorway journeys.

Pleeeeeessse don't buy an Ipod!
I work for Creative Lab's, have you checked out the MuVo 2 (Squared) it uses EXACTLY the same technology as Mini Ipod, but you can get it now!
We do a 4GB version, otherwise go for the Zen Xtra with 30GB / 60GB! All for far far less than an Ipod, and much much less than the devices mentioned above (which for the technology are complete rip off's...we manage to scale this technoogy down to pocket size and charge a third of the price)
Creative players support both MP3 and WMA file's.
All of the legit download site's offer files in WMA format (since the record industry HATES MP3 becuase of it's link's with piracy, see Kazaa, Napster etc).
This mean's if you own an Ipod you must convert any legit download's to MP3 from WMA (hassle) or you won't be able to play them!
Oh, and our's have removeable batteries too so no fear about it going belly up on you afer a month or two.
Finally sound quality is superior on our player's....why not read some review site's and see what you think.
When you buy an Ipod, you're buying into a massive marketing campaign (OK and good styling) but Creative IMHO are much more the informed choice!

Check them out at www.europe.creative.com

Sorry if this post get's anyone's back up just offering my two pennies.

Toby

Well i have an ipod and I am very happy with it - and no, I wouldn't consider using it in the car - that has problems too.

Infact I think all in car mp3 units experience the same interference. The Dension have the same problem - see thier forum.

Am sure that creative will encouter similiar problems when their products become as well developed in car audio as the others mentioned above.

Just had the phatnoise fitted to my new A3 and so far I'm very impressed. I haven't noticed a whine from it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mines connected to a symphony II headunit without BOSE so I can't see you having any problems with the setup you've got.

Here's a pic.........

163551-phatnoise%20large.JPG

I went and got a Sony 6 CD MP3 changer, it's fine but the concert head unit only allows 99 tracks per CD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But still 594 tracks keeps me amused as I'm driving...

Heh would be a long long drive to listen to 594 tracks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Please don't say one of them is that stupid milkshake song I hate it sooooooo much..

[ QUOTE ]
Quik said:
Please don't say one of them is that stupid milkshake song I hate it sooooooo much..

[/ QUOTE ]

No I've just got the top 594 of the cheesiest songs ever, that came 595th fortunately /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

the big plus of the phatnoise is that is integrates properly with the factory head unit - many of us dont want an additional remote control unit for things like the dension boot unit and dont want to change the factory head - this is always an invitation for someone to steal a 3rd party head unit - the phatnoise voice navigation means you can use any audi/vw head unit to navigate upto 40gigs of songs.

the mp3 cd changers dont work well with the audi factory units because there are only 6 fixed disk buttons on some, and the head unit can only show tracks 1-99 for each of the 6 disks. - you can only play above track 99 by letting the player continue after track 99, there is no direct access to tracks above this.

also, the ipod etc adapters dont give you direct control of the mp3 player in most cases without having to use the mp3 controls (which is not safe whilst driving cos they are too small), and of course your mp3 player has to have a mount somewhere on the dash and has to be removed when you leave the car unless you want it to be broken in to...

of course you could use a pocketpc to provide satnav and mp3 faciltities which is quite cost effective, but each time you load the pocketpc in your dash cradle, you have to connect the gps/power lead and the audio output lead and use an aux audio input into your head unit. then you lose the satnav voice from the pocketpc when you are listening to the radio or cd...

thats why i chose to fit audi satnav plus and the phatnoise - got all the bits from ebay germany or usa.

Hi all,

Yeah the great thing about the Phatnoise (and unit's like it) is that they are designed for use IN CAR.
Ipod's and MuVo's are not designed for this purpose, hence the casette adadptor's and extra wiring required.
Simon: The only other way (apart from tape) a unit such as the MuVo 2 could hook up would be if the Audi Concert or Bose system's had a line in connection hidden in the back of the unit itself (many new aftermarket head unit's have this "hidden" connection....I dunno if Audi / Bose do)

To be honest, having an Ipod or MuVo 2 rolling around on your dash ain't 1/2 as good as the tidy Phat install the VW owner completed above (if we're honest).

Toby

LeeS3 : Where did you get that Ipod from???? 3RD generation do not have removable battery...not arguing with you dude just interested..?????