audi non smoking pack

Daz4311

Reaction score
Audi non smoking pack diffrences...I want the ashtray...so not ordered non smoking pack...so is the only difference with cigarette lighter or 12 blanking cover...or is there a difference in the actual socket.....as think I'll just buy a 12v blanking plate?pics of the non smoking pack cover or whatever would be helpful so I order the right bit if you know what I mean...cheers in advance folks

Think the harness for non smoking pack is upgraded to power more things.

In hindsight I'd go non smoking pack and just buy an ash try cup from parts.

Reactions: glospete and JohnM100
The socket itself is a higher rating on the no smoking option.
Most people who go for non smoking just ask for an ashtray as a gift on collection. Worked for me.

Always handy if you need to start a fire with the cigarette lighter :)

Reactions: A3_Rider, Bristle Hound and Jassyo06
Cool think I'll go for non smoking pack of its not to late!

Reactions: Rob2k68
If you are only ever gonna run a Sat Nav or a small tyre compressor pump to top up your tyres might as well go for smoking pack

When purchasing mine from Germany, I added the "smoker accessories" (there were two options, one for just a cup or another one for the full pack of accessories) because the standard was non smoker and I wanted to have all accessories. Plus in France, you get smoker version as a standard, you cannot even get the non smoker version, at least for SLine version, I didn't check the others. So I wanted to be similar to France versions in case I'd have to sell it...

That's only recently that I discovered there is actually a difference in wiring/power capability. And I think this is quite shabby. I mean, why would you not let user have the possibility to use lighter when required and still have the same power capability just in case ? pfffff
And what is the saving for them, in term of production/process, you keep two references (different component somewhere) so more stock, & so on...

Second, I am wondering if we can still use it to recharge phones, sat nav... what else coul I not do with it ? I mean it is a car, you do not plug a whasing machine ??

I picked mine up the other day with NSP, I am disappointed I haven't got a cup or holder as I have seen pictured in brochures....The car is seriously lacking in storage space.. or I haven't found all the nooks and crannies yet!! Come on Audi where is the glasses compartment by the interior lights in the roof?
Maybe I'm too use to cheaper but more practical cars?

Well I'm adding to my list of 'issues/grumbles' I have when it goes back into them to rectify a stone chip/nick in the front bumper lip....

When purchasing mine from Germany, I added the "smoker accessories" (there were two options, one for just a cup or another one for the full pack of accessories) because the standard was non smoker and I wanted to have all accessories. Plus in France, you get smoker version as a standard, you cannot even get the non smoker version, at least for SLine version, I didn't check the others. So I wanted to be similar to France versions in case I'd have to sell it...

That's only recently that I discovered there is actually a difference in wiring/power capability. And I think this is quite shabby. I mean, why would you not let user have the possibility to use lighter when required and still have the same power capability just in case ? pfffff
And what is the saving for them, in term of production/process, you keep two references (different component somewhere) so more stock, & so on...

Second, I am wondering if we can still use it to recharge phones, sat nav... what else coul I not do with it ? I mean it is a car, you do not plug a whasing machine ??

Apart from the difference in wiring rating -

the 12V socket itself is different in construction. So a cigarette lighter will not latch into a 12V power socket outlet.

The cigarette lighter socket is fine to power low current devices such as chargers, sat nav's etc., but unsuited for higher current consumption items such as compressors or fridges - use a 12V power socket for those.

Last edited:
This does bother me, my friends Golf has this and it's so much more convenient!
Even my last 2 Octavia's have had this compartment... I am getting old, not only do I use sunglasses but now use long distance ones too :(

Reactions: Ignition1
Yes but why did they decide to do that ? I mean a lighter could very well be designed to work on a regular 12V socket, could it not ?
Can you not buy a lighter to retrofit it on a 12V socket ?
I assume your iphone chargers etc.... will fit in both 12V or lighter sockets so there is a choice here from Audi and I do not understand it...

I picked mine up the other day with NSP, I am disappointed I haven't got a cup or holder as I have seen pictured in brochures....The car is seriously lacking in storage space.. or I haven't found all the nooks and crannies yet!! Come on Audi where is the glasses compartment by the interior lights in the roof?
Maybe I'm too use to cheaper but more practical cars?

Have you got the under seat storage compartments ?

Another breaking news for me, how does that relate to having NSP or not having it ?

It doesn't. Someone mentioned about lack of storage so the thread digressed a little to help a fellow member. Happens quite a lot in forums.

Reactions: Wondering Soul and Simon L
It doesn't. Someone mentioned about lack of storage so the thread digressed a little to help a fellow member. Happens quite a lot in forums.

.....no idea what you mean Rob.........?? lol

No problem, there was no irony in my words. After the 12V discovery, I really thought there was another hidden "feature" in this NSP...

Another breaking news for me, how does that relate to having NSP or not having it ?
OK I apologise I digressed from the main subject of the thread..... but I did start in my original post about the NSP!

Have you got the under seat storage compartments ?

Yes I have found the one under the pass seat... but as I don't have my car (been detailed :( ) cant confirm all.... I couldn't find the first aid kit... but that's digressing and for another thread :)

My first aid kit is in the underseat storage - passenger seat. In fact it fills it up and no storage under drivers.
I agree that the A3 is lacking in storage, but it does ensure you don't cart loads of rubbish about that you don't need!! :whistle2:

Reactions: Daveotto and Rob2k68
.......but it does ensure you don't cart loads of rubbish about that you don't need!! :whistle2:

Couldn't agree more apart from bottle of water, can of red bull, pack of mints, sunglasses and some cash and emergency credit card what else do you need to carry around.

Will bring this topic back to life.

I am going to keep the smoking pack, on the basis that it is cheaper to buy the blank plate over the ashtray.

My question is, will the lighter socket have enough power to safely run a dash cam?

Will bring this topic back to life.

I am going to keep the smoking pack, on the basis that it is cheaper to buy the blank plate over the ashtray.

My question is, will the lighter socket have enough power to safely run a dash cam?

Yes, it should be fine for a dashcam I think.
But most on here blag an ashtray when they collect anyway - I didn't have any trouble in that respect.

I'd of thought that for the normal average items will work from the cigarette lighter. I'm sure there 12V in the rear passenger compartment and one 12V in the boot

I've got some ashtrays for sale if people are keen? Removed from company vehicles.

Also got the cigarette lighter.

£22 delivered each or the two £25 delivered

I've got some ashtrays for sale if people are keen? Removed from company vehicles.

Also got the cigarette lighter.

£22 delivered each or the two £25 delivered

Not that i want one but do you have a picture? Could the ashtray be used for anything other than ash?

I've got one in my SQ5 and father in law has one in his A4 both use for parking change!

da734af0ef0b7dfb2f226afc22fb9ea5.jpg

22621d10de46dd790593806cd7359f9e.jpg

I use mine for change too. And for the remote control for the garage door. And a spare front door key that I haven't got round to finding another home for yet. Damn useful ashtray!

They do look very useful. Hence my reason for wanting to keep it in the spec.

Anyone know where you can the blank 12v cap?

I wanted to put the Audi cup in the rear cup holders to have full use of both front holders (we do a lot of motorway miles and do actually like to put cups of coffee from the services in the cup holders) but it won't fit as the rear holders are a smaller diameter, rather than having the spring loaded 'reducers' that the front ones do. Annoying.

Not that i want one but do you have a picture? Could the ashtray be used for anything other than ash?

I have one on my desk at work perfect as a pen and odds and sods holder.

Thats a better use for it because, as far as I'm concerned, with it being inside the car it is a clutter and rattle making trap. The only additional item I have in my car are my sunglasses. Nothing else in the glove box, door or central console storage, it's as clean as it was when I first collected the car two years ago.
Second service due and 10400 on the clock...

Reactions: Wondering Soul
So just to double check and make it clear

Is the below correct?

Non-smoking pack: No ash tray or cigarette lighter, BUT higher power output from the socket?
Normal: Lower power from the socket, but you get ash tray and cigarette lighter

So just to double check and make it clear

Is the below correct?

Non-smoking pack: No ash tray or cigarette lighter, BUT higher power output from the socket?
Normal: Lower power from the socket, but you get ash tray and cigarette lighter

But to this you can still run almost anything from the lower powered one? Am i missing something?