audi model history - gen needed

alistairolsen

Reaction score
audi quattro, where did it start? My understaing is the UR quattro came first, along with its rallying success, bringing the sport quattro. Was the so called Wr next? VERY similar looking? Was there another coupe quattro before the later curvier 80 and 90 series models?

Sorry for the noob questions, but any help would be great!

so the UR, WR and the later models were all essentially the same car, but with some detail facelifts (if you werent worried at all about the engine)

Did the transmission remain the same? when did the dog engagement diffs change to torsen type? All were 5 speed?

Were the brakes the same throughout?

Did the suspension layout change at all?

Understandably the Ur's heritage makes it desireable and worth a lot of money, how does the desireability of the others compare?

cheers

As far as I know, the WR engine came first, 2144cc 10v, then the MB engine 2226cc 10v came out in approx 1986, then the RR engine 2226 20v came out late 1988.
All of these cars are Ur Quattros, Ur is not a code, it is a german word, that roughly translates as 'original'. There was a facelift of the range, in approx 1984. That further confuses things.
I think the 20v is the rarest and commands highest prices, though there were a few aluminium block equipped WR engines. This was for homologation reasons, and Audi intended that the block be replaced with the usual iron one at approx 60k miles!

I have a 1998 audi cabriolet 1.8 that has developed a loud noise from the front of the car. I have had the car from nearly new so know it has been well serviced. The noise sounds like a loud bang/crack that transmits itself though the bulkhead. The noise can be clearly heard when outside the car too. It feels very close to my feet.

I have replaced both suspension struts, and wishbone bushes, had the engine mounts checked, ball joints, checked exhaust mounts, etc.

The noise occurs when i pull off in low gear. (when the engine is taking the weight). Any other time there is no noise. Could the problem be with the drive shafts or could it be an engine mount that looks Ok but needs replacing.

Can any Audi-Sport members help before I spend more money at the garage hunting for this annoying bang...

Thanks
John