1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi insurance and free GAP cover

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Daveotto, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

Got free 7 day cover today for the new ar and got ull year quote which was a good £150 more than cheapest I found from comparison sites.

Audi insurance girl gave the usual spiel on you get lots of extras and better quality product. One thing that did interest me was that in effect they say they give you GAP insurance for first year if car is unfortunately a write off, need to dig around on this with a follow up call as might be a cheap way of getting GAP insurance for bit of piece of mind.

Has anyone else heard this or can confirm that is correct, hopefully this thread will not be as heated as the last insurance thread discussion!!
  2. RYes3

RYes3 Member

Yep its true, they will replace at buying price if a total loss claim arises. Its their USP to be fair. I used them when I bought a 2012 S3 but they came nowhere close with the RS3.
  3. A3sportbackMark

A3sportbackMark Member

Is that for the 7 day cover, or/and the annual insurance?
  4. Daveotto

Is for the annual cover and way it was recounted is for a total lose due to damage, not sure if this also applies to theft as well, hence need for a follow up call and advise from the forum.
  5. RYes3

RYes3 Member

Pretty sure its first year only if continuance from 7 day free is taken.
  6. Daveotto

yes for GAP part it is first year only which IMHO is the biggest risk in terms of total loss
  7. SilureMark

SilureMark Active Member

You'd be able to get GAP for three years for less than £200 if you shop around. Audi insurance quoted me £1100 fully comp on my RS - went with esure, £420 and lower excess, free courtesy car, etc too. Go figure! I do wonder if anyone goes with them after that 7 day period? Very expensive IMO.

GAP is essential IMO. I had a car stolen almost 3 years into ownership and it paid out the difference between the insurance (which was just about the trade value of the car!) and the original invoice price. I was actually in the process of ordering a new car when it happened, so getting two cheques totalling £36k and banking one of them yet still being able to lob a big deposit at the new car was a result I suppose. Still would have rather not had the car stolen. Scum who did it did get caught - that was the guy from Harlow who was in all the papers having nicked hundreds of cars and got sentenced to a new house, community service and pat on the back by the judge. He then nicks a Boxster, gets caught again and then got 3 years.
    Daveotto likes this.
  8. Gazzz

Gazzz Member

I thought new for old was standard for the first year on all policies? Certainly the last time I bought a new car it was included as standard with just a 'normal' insurer. It's not something I've checked on more recent policies as it no longer applies to me
  9. JohnnyM100

JohnnyM100 Active Member

Yep it's standard on mine for the first year. GAP covers for subsequent years.
  10. Vw2audi

Vw2audi New Member

u should get GAP for 3 years with return to invoice, got my GTI covered via car2cover, very comprehensive about £140 for 15k of cover, piece of mind for 3 years to cover the shortfall on insurers valuation should it get nicked/written off
  11. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

I'll be getting 4 years cover (ie, while I'm financially tied to the car), and probably return to spec rather than invoice which only costs a small amount more
  12. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

I also got return to spec, as oposed to return to invoice. I think it was £20 more expensive, but effectively means they'll replace the car with the same specification regardless of whether costs have increased since I ordered.
  13. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

Yup - and costs already have increased so I've immediately 'lost out' by taking a return to invoice plan!
  14. Vw2audi

Vw2audi New Member

fair point on RTI, go for the full monty
  15. Little Red Monster

Little Red Monster Member

My Lexus IS250 was written off four years ago, the car was replaced with a new one to the exact same spec by the insurance company, but with a later reg of course, which was to my advantage. I think the value only becomes an issue when you require a cash payment.
  16. Fragup

Fragup Member

Thats sounds a very good idea, haven't looked into gap ins. Yet but was intending to nearer the time!
    Think I will do the same, when time comes.

thanks for the info.
  17. Daveotto

Have already found a returns to spec GAP policy at £178, and will probably go for that. Seems a reasonable company....ALA.co.uk, anyone got any experience with these guys?

We got burgled about 7 years ago, long story cut short was, police done nothing, we found evidence (DNA and CCTV) and the toe rag got caught and got 3.5 years
  18. mjcourtney

I went through ALA for mine too. Don't have any experience of claiming through them, but their cover is good value when compared to other providers.
  19. A3 VBV

A3 VBV New Member

I used ALA too. What I particularly liked was the very clear statement that ALA would pay the difference between the insured value (invoice, replacement or whatever) and the amount paid by your comprehensive insurance policy. Many similar products said they would paid the difference between the 'market value' and the insured value so I could see the potential for a different interpretation of 'market value' by your comprehensive insurers and 'market value' by your GAP insurers.
  20. Daveotto

Just noticed ALA do not allow deferred poilicy start dates which is a bit off putting as my most likely insurance company provides cover for the first year so might go with directgap.co.uk, anyone used these guys?
  21. A3 VBV

A3 VBV New Member

Yes, no deferred start but did you read ALA's explanation of why they do this? In summary, there are sometimes restrictions on a full payout in the first 12 mths so there could still be a gap but if no gap payout made on a total loss within the first 12 months then they will start a new policy on the replacement vehicle free of charge. I think this maybe 'cake and eat it' territory ....
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  22. Daveotto

Yes, read the explanation and IMHO I thought it wrong that ALA assumed all insurance companies had restrictions, but accept some might. I read the policy document for my potential insurer (Tesco's) and the GAP cover appears very comprehensive and equivalent to stand alone return to spec cover.

NOTE: This is my opinion and not financial advice
  23. mjcourtney

Oh yes, forgot that when we say anything about gap insurance we need to immediately state "in my opinion", or else we have the farce we had a few months ago and there'll be an Audi Gap insurance salesman along to set us back on the straight and narrow :p
    number3 and Daveotto like this.