Audi immobilisers

jayfrts

bouncing off the limiter!!!!
Reaction score
Right following on from this thread http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15705

The missus is well & truly peeved with it all and just wants shot of it............

BUT

I feel its probably one of the mot reliable car we've EVER owned, so am tempted to try and sort this mess.

Question:
Can the standard Audi alarm / immobiliser be removed completely from the car? As it would be cheaper for us to do this & then fit a CAT 1 alarm to it.

Anybody done this? any info gratefully received!

Thanks

Jason

alarm - yes, just unplug the siren?
immobiliser - no, well not without another ECU anyway.

From reading about, i gather that the ECU's in the formula palmer 1.8T's dont have the immobilisers on, so you could find out if one of those is compatible with your car, and get it remapped - providing your car is 1.8t based.

anyone else heard of this one?

Nice touch Audi! :rolleyes:

Yep its a 1.8T platform..........Hmmm may Google that!

Removing the standard immobiliser is near impossible. Best you can do is work around it. I've had the car in to the local alarm fitters 5 times trying to fit a Clifford - still not finished. It also needs an extra key to be coded so the transponder can be relocated in the ignition barrel. Expensive and a pain in the ar5e.

There are a few tuners out there who can get round the immobilisers for engine conversions etc. Requires re-flashing the ecu, so might cost as much as a remap. Give some of the major tuners a call.

As HTC says, it can be removed with a remap - i believe REVO do it, quite a common mod amongest the Golf community with 1.8T converted cars.

Another method i've seen is the reader coil cable disconnected from the steering column and connected to a second reader with a key fitted permenantly, this fools the ECU but you would need an aftermarket immobiliser or your car can be easily nicked!

Regards Steve

Thanks Lads, the cars already chipped by AMD. The dealership we took it to said they thought the faut may have arisen due to the 'Chipping' of the ECU..

madvw said:
i gather that the ECU's in the formula palmer 1.8T's dont have the immobilisers on, so you could find out if one of those is compatible with your car, and get it remapped - providing your car is 1.8t based

I emailed them yesterday..............i'll let you know if i get any reply!

A3steve said:
As HTC says, it can be removed with a remap - i believe REVO do it, quite a common mod amongest the Golf community with 1.8T converted cars.
Another method i've seen is the reader coil cable disconnected from the steering column and connected to a second reader with a key fitted permenantly, this fools the ECU but you would need an aftermarket immobiliser or your car can be easily nicked!
Regards Steve

Has anybody on this board done this? As i'd like to PM them about it!

Hi,
Just to give you more information, You would use either a second hand or new lock with a reader fitted, you would need to sacrifice a key which is already matched to the immobiliser, then you would have another key cut, this wouldnt need the immobiliser matching hence cheap and no lock changes.

The second Lock/Key/Reader is located somewhere not easily accessible inside the dash and stays in the car permenantly, an aftermarket immobiliser would then take over as protection.

I used to work with a guy who did this, and had a clifford virtual key (transponder type) as his immobilisation.

You can get cheap boxes with reader coils attached on ebay so you can use a push button start or remote start via your fancy alarm but i've never seen one used on an audi. the donor key is located inside the box and then hidden.

Hope this helps
Steve

Thing is all this is great advice but one question goes unanswered..............................

Why the hell does all this happen ONLY happen in the winter!!!! IE COLD

I need to find this fella SOD and kick him up his royal behind then!! :cry: