Audi Help with electrics....... A4 Avant 2.0 Diesel

WillZ

Reaction score
Can anyone help......

My Audi A4 Avant 2008 has a few problems.

1. The display panel indicate that the bulbs are blown on all the front lights, when i check the bulbs they are in working order but do not come on. So essentially none of the lights work on the two fron light clusters, despite the dials dimming when you turn the light switch on.

2. The alarm goes off whenever i lock the car after a couple of minutes.

3. The rear wiper will not turn off, but i the stalk still lets me use the back spray function.

I have tried unplugging the battery and it has not cured the problem.

Can anyone help?

Not sure about the lights but it's a pretty safe bet that your rear wiper needs replacing due to water leaking into it.
I had exactly the same on my B7 avant, the wiper would just do its own thing. When I got around to replacing it I found that water had got into the electronic enclosure and fried it.
It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the two are related somehow.
When I fitted some LED's to the boot lights it stopped the steering wheel controls from functioning!

Yeah good chance their related. I had a genuine egr problem and it ended up triggering abs, parking break and speed sensor alarms

Many circuits that you wouldn't expect to be connected are connected

Used to be a very common fault on mk4 golf where the rear screenwash hose would split in the tailgate and soak the microswitch for the boot lock and cause all sort of gremlins with the central locking and alarm. A leaking wiper seal would do the same thing and as said would not surprise me if it was linked to the front light. Might have soaked the rear lights which are probably shared circuit with the fronts.

Car electrics are a mystery to me. Took out a fuse in my wife's old polo for the radio and the electic window switch for the drivers side started operating the passenger side and vice versa. Not only that but up became down and down became up...

So worth a shot for sure.

Reactions: Cymru09
The lights, alarm and rear wiper are some of the many circuits controlled by the onboard supply control unit module J519. It's located up above the accelerator pedal.
I would get the car connected to VCDS and get the fault codes read as these cars are very complex.
Did all these faults suddenly start at the same time ?

Karl.

Yea they all started at the same time,

Have checked the fuse panels and the bulbs and they are all fine so thought it could be a box somewhere.