1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi goes with new compressor and trick diff for new S4

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FactionOne, Sep 24, 2008.

1. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Hi folks,

We received information today regarding the new S4, and a couple of things jumped off the page at me which seemed pretty interesting...

The N/A 4.2L V8 lump is being replaced by a forced-induction V6 unit, but this time Audi have decided to use a supercharger, stating that apparently it's more effective than even two turbochargers.

There's an extension to the quattro system too - of course we all know that they're using a 40/60 (F/R) split to give a bit more of a lively drive these days, but they've developed an 'active sport differential' for the new S4 which can vary torque between the rear wheels to give the outside wheel a bigger shove in the bends. That coupled with the drive select system which allows you to sharpen up engine, suspension and steering characteristics on-the-fly should make for a very interesting drive...

Anyway, I posted the full press release here - but I just tought I'd drop the two juiciest bits in the forum...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> A couple of photos here too, there are technical difficulties with pictures at the front page which are being worked-on at the moment...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Kontraband

Kontraband Active Member

MMMM, I quite like that... in saloon. Could be the car that stops me shifting back to the dark side!?!? ;)

What was the previous S4s CO2 as it only says there is a 30% reduction... of what??

EDIT>> Ignore that bit... "while emitting 225g of CO2 - 30 per cent less than its predecessor (S4 V8 manual 322g/km)."