1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi extended warranty - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by maars, Nov 18, 2009.

1. maars

maars Full speed ahead

So, my A3 Sportback is coming up for three years old, and Audi sent me a letter asking if I wanted to extend the warranty/roadside assistance.

Has anyone done this? How much does it cost? And is it worth it?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. edition

edition Active Member

Audi quoted me £1200 per year. I declined!

They said that was because of engine capacity so yours maybe cheaper.

You do have to watch out for things that are not included though as they offen are not as complete as the original.

4. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

I never buy warranties....The only reason Audi offer them is because they make a fortune out of them.
    that says it all.

5. Boydie

Boydie Boycie
    VCDS Map User

£1200??? goodness me!

I am very tempted for an extended warrenty as a mate of mine has had to have a steering rack, timing belt, water pump and clutch replaced under warrenty with a lot more miles on the clocks than mine!!

6. jamessg1962

jamessg1962 Member

Try warranty direct for a quote .They cover most things except brake pads ,cluthplates etc . cover seems very comprehensive .
    I'm going for it after christmas after paying over £1000 for new air con compressor. Hate to think of anything major going wrong and having to fork out .
    There's some horror stories on here, crankshafts ,oil pumps etc your talking mega dosh !!

7. edition

edition Active Member

Yes it's like anything, your likely to be throwing your money down the drain but you could be saving a fortune!

8. Boydie

Boydie Boycie
    VCDS Map User

Got quoted from warrenty direct:

Luxurry Care Policy (which to me offers you feck all but could be wrong) - £577 plus a month free so 13 months

Major Care Policy (which covers the majority of all mechanical parts) - £379 plus a month free so 13 months

I am just in two minds - hate paying for things like insurance because most of the time you never need them :( just one of those things, it will happen if you dont have the cover!

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

Do the Audi extended warranties offer the same level of warranty as the original? e.g. everything but serviceable items like brake pads, discs, filters and cambelt are covered. Plus if something needs investigating I wouldn't want to be footing the bill. Just want to drop the car off and not have to worry about paying like I do at present, no matter how small the problem is!

Maybe worth it if you knew that you could take it for MOT and as long as the tyres were ok anything else it failed on would be covered under warranty.

I think my Dad paid about £300 for an extra year on his MK5 Golf 2.0TDI direct from VW. Never had to use it though

10. edition

edition Active Member

I don't think the cover is as good.

11. SafTT

SafTT Member

I think £1200 is a bit excessive, have you got a price for you specific vehicle?

12. jamessg1962

jamessg1962 Member

That luxurry care cover is the best cover have a look at the policy document it more or less covers everything .
    Icant get that as my car's 5 years old .

13. Boydie

Boydie Boycie
    VCDS Map User

The way I read it it listed the things it didnt cover which was massive so I ignored it!

14. -Ju-

-Ju- Well-Known Member
    Audi S3

I have mine covered under a Tesco Finest warranty at just over £400. It covers pretty much everything, has unlimited claims value and includes mot cover. It does come well recommended but then I haven't had to make a claim yet.

15. FUNKYCLIFF

FUNKYCLIFF Member

I went for a cheapo option as my car is 5 years old and is only a 2.0 FSI sport. I bought an AA mechanical breakdown warranty for £69 on top of my AA memembership which covers most items up to £500 per claim and 5 times allowed per year which for the type of car i have is more than adequate

16. jamessg1962

jamessg1962 Member

Just looked at the Tesco warranty site and it's not available to any new customers !!!!!

17. -Ju-

-Ju- Well-Known Member
    Audi S3

Yeah you're right, it say's "existing customers unaffected"...........So does that mean you're covered until you try and claim:shrug:.

18. edition

edition Active Member

Yes think I read that that product was abit of a **** deal for Tesco

19. Chimp

Chimp Member

Just a tip, I contacted Warranty Direct at the begining of the year re my girlfriends Cooper S 55 plate (not audi I know).

I did the online quote with was about £50 cheaper than the £500 BMW wanted.

After a week WD contacted me and offered it MUCH cheaper and slightly better cover.

I managed over a further week to haggle the top cover, limitless policy, using dealers instead of WD's approved garages with an hourly rate of £110.

I think in the end it came to £320... I also bounced them off the Tesco policy as a comparision they caved in.

If the Tesco inst happening anymore then might need to find someone else to compare/price match them with.

20. ianspibs

ianspibs Member

Matt,
    I think the level of cover is the same. I've never had any trouble with past warranty claims using the Audi extended warranty. Just had my cylinder head replaced, they also found that the air con compressor needed replacing. Total cost, paid for by the warranty was just under £2400.
    When the car has been in for a service in the past, the dealer has even offered to replace the glove box damper under warranty.