1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Drive Select Effectiveness

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Zig, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Zig

Zig Member

How effective is Audi Drive Select (£220 option on SE model), is it something that people tend to use, or is it something that having set it once it is just left alone and it is thus a feature that can lived without?

Also is drive select another of the features in which all the hardware is there and it is just a matter of enabling it (like the SD Sat Nav)?
  2. Neesh

Neesh Member

Honestly I think its a great feature to have In Dynamic mode its comes alive the steering tightens up and the throttle becomes more responsive taking corners becomes addictive(I dont know if its me or not but the dump valve sounds a bit louder in dynamic as well)...I dont feel much of a difference in the comfort and efficiency modes though.
  3. UKPonchoMan

UKPonchoMan New Member

Agreed - in 'Economy' I'm sure it would have better fuel consumption but there feels like there's a thick piece of rubber between your foot and the accelerator pedal!! I've tried 'Auto', 'Dynamic' and 'Economy' and have stuck with 'Dynamic'...

I guess it depends what the 'standard' setting is if you don't have Drive Select?
  4. Zig

Zig Member

I suppose the standard version (non Drive Select) will lie between Comfort and Dynamic, it will not be a slugged response like Efficiency.
  5. number3

number3 Member

I'm sure it states in the manual that it changes the sound of the engine ? So you could be right !!

I keep mine set to auto most of the time... Mostly lol dynamic can be a mpg killer !!!
  6. Ceebee

Ceebee New Member

Have drive select including the dampers on a SE Technik, means sports suspension, ie lower similar to S-line, but with the benefit of a comfortable ride when not in dynamik. Best of both world.
  7. STERLING VOID

STERLING VOID Member

Does anyone know precisely what happens in each mode?

Does the car go lower when in dynamic mode?
  8. cemerson

cemerson Active Member

The suspension changes only if you have magnetic ride - and it gets stiffer but doesn't lower in any way as far as I know.

I would imagine the default is auto. I keep mine in individual which has everything in dynamic except the steering, which is in comfort. If I want to work a bit harder and tighten that up I can just go to dynamic mode :)
  9. pat15312

pat15312 Member

The economy mode will save you more than the cost of the option in fuel over your period of ownership; it's worth it just for that feature.
  10. cemerson

cemerson Active Member

Do you think? Often the economy mode actually uses MORE fuel as you are always flooring it to get it to go anywhere. I've seen that reported here, and with other car models as well.
  11. Joetidman

Joetidman Member

The different modes (unless you have mag ride) affect throttle responsiveness and steering assistance, so in dynamic mode the throttle response is as sharp as it can go, an in terms of immediacy of engine response to pedal input, and on comfort/eco the least, thus ensuring a more relaxed ride and less chance of the engine adding fuel unneccessarily. I imagine to cemerson's point, this may be correct, but depends on your car. I should think that an S3 in eco will be quite fast enough under gentle throttle. Steering 'weight' is electrically delivered, so you get no more 'feel' through the steering but decreases the amount of lock needed at higher speeds and thus increases stability and reduces twitchiness at speed

If you have stronic, it will also affect how quickly, or not the gears change up and down thus affecting revs and responsiveness as well as fuel consumption. In eco mode it also affects a 'coasting mode' which saves fuel
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Daveotto likes this.
  12. pat15312

pat15312 Member

My car stays in Eco mode 90% of the time and I average 30mpg, more if I'm going anywhere out of town. The auto-coasting feature with the s-tronic gearbox makes quite a bit of distance I think.
  13. Daveotto

Daveotto Member

80% of the time mine (2.0TDI 150 BHP) sits in Dynamic (enjoy as much and as often as possible) mode and you certainly feel the difference in steering and throttle response.

Have used auto mode occasionally when fully loaded up/ Mrs is onboard / or stuck going round the north circular and have used comfort mode on a couple of occasions when it's been very wet / icy to give a bit more traction control and take the edge off the throttle to stop a bit of wheel spin
    Joetidman likes this.
  14. The Challinor

The Challinor Active Member

Did you go for it then?

It really is worth having, in dynamic mode it makes it feel like a totally different car, makes the steering much more heavy and direct amongst other things.
  15. glospete

glospete Member

What settings do you all have for the Individual Mode?
  16. Joetidman

Joetidman Member

Gearbox - Dynamic
    ACC - Dynamic
    Suspension - Auto
    Steering - Auto
    Exhaust - Dynamic
    glospete likes this.
  17. The Challinor

ACC as in adaptive cruise control?
  18. The Challinor

What's the auto coasting?
  19. vegnomeat

vegnomeat Member

Stick it in Auto, it's all you need
    glospete likes this.
  20. cemerson

cemerson Active Member

Everything in Dynamic except Steering, which is in Comfort
    glospete likes this.
  21. veeeight

veeeight Active Member

Yes, the ACC setting, determines how aggressively you accelerate, to make up the gap to the car in front (when a gap develops), and how aggressively it closes the gap to the car in front, when you're flying along Lane 3 on the Motorway approaching a slower car.

Sort of an Audi Sales Rep Motorway mode selector ;)

For coasting, see here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-8v-chassis/212671-drive-select.html#post2160467
    The Challinor likes this.
  22. oufc1976

oufc1976 Member

Mine is in Dynamic mode and will stay there! :)
  23. Pickle1970

Pickle1970 Member

30mpg, are you saying that's good? i'd be well miffed at only getting 30mpg in eco mode. what engine is yours?
  24. Joetidman

Joetidman Member

He has an S3, and I presume that mpg is around town
    pat15312 likes this.
  25. Pickle1970

Pickle1970 Member

ahhhh that would answer it then :yum: thanks
  26. The Challinor

Why thank you
    veeeight likes this.
  27. SilureMark

SilureMark Member

I find it hard to differentiate between comfort and auto - I use comfort on the motorway. Dynamic I find annoying in the way it hangs onto gears - I prefer to drive it on the paddles and use Individual, set to dynamic for the steering and exhaust, but left alone for the gearbox so I can make the call on when to change gear - I'll be getting a gearbox remap at some point anyway. If I left my car in dynamic all the time I'd hate the thing, mainly because of the way the gearbox will then behave - I guess on the A3's with low power outputs it could be different I suppose. Efficiency I don't like the lack of engine braking, but the jury is still out on that one as I do see a measurable improvement in fuel consumption when running in that mode. Drive Select? Yeah, If it wasn't standard on my car I would definitely tick the option box.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014