1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi dealer up to their old tricks?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by AndyMac, Oct 25, 2004.

1. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 25, 2004]
    My mate just had 60k service done on his A3TQ at Audi dealer. The engineer said he needed a new "brain" for his Haldex system, just a £1500 job. This all based on a fault detected by VAGCOM, with no symptons showing.
    It's a tricky one to diagnose, as how do you tell if the Quattro/Haldex is working 100% properly?
    Presumably this "brain" is just a chip (or collection of chips), so how can Audi justify £1500 for a replacement (only 30 minutes to fit apparently).
    Anyone heard of this? Could the system be reporting a fault, even though it is working properly?
    I don't have the fault codes.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. HTC

HTC Active Member

[Oct 25, 2004]
    I'd really need to see the code to be sure, but the thing with fault codes is they can appear when there isn't a problem.

For example if you pull a connector off and the turn the ignition on, you will get a code, but all you need to do is plug it back in and clear it.

If there are no noticable problems, then I suggest clearing the code and then re-reading about a week later to see if it has reappeared.
  4. AndyMac

[Oct 25, 2004]
    Thanks HTC, I'll get him to do that.
  5. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Oct 26, 2004]
    Unfortunately this is becoming a well known problem now. I replaced my own which seemed to stick the car in constant 4WD with the ESP light on shortly after pulling away. I was quoted £720 +VAT + fitting which came to £1100
    I was lucky enough to find someone selling the whole back end, Haldex, axle, suspension and brakes off of a 03 S3 from of all places EBAY and managed to get it for a cheeky £150 then fitted the controller myself which took about twenty minutes.
    My symptoms were the ESP light and the four wheels binding and giving a large thud from the back end when at slow speeds and at full lock e.g. parking
    Clearing the code may work in the short term but it will come back and start to become more frequent and eventually pack in altogether
    My car was out of warranty (2 months) but I phoned Audi CC and they said they would knock half the price off the part so it's maybe worth a try
  6. dickys3

dickys3 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Oct 26, 2004]
    Horrah for ebay! You were lucky there matey!
  7. foolish3uk

foolish3uk Member

[Oct 26, 2004]
    the haldex control unit can come up with a fault 65535 which means faulty part. this fault canot be erased. the control unit must be replaced. if your an enthusiastic driver would you really want to not be able to rely on your 4 wheel drive system?
  8. AndyMac

[Oct 26, 2004]
    I think that is probably the fault they found, as they didn't suggest resetting and seeing if it came back.
    Is this unit really £1400?
  9. StevieBogan

StevieBogan Member

[Oct 26, 2004]
    I'm shiting my self now. Sounds like the problems that used to be associated with the old Cavy turbos. Thought I'd bought a car that was better than all that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Can the Haldex failure occur even on a car that has had the oil and filter changes as recomended?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can believe this [censored] man. £1400 / £3000 is alot of cash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
  10. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Oct 26, 2004]
    It was £720 +vat for me Andy for an S3 I would think the A3TQ would be the same unit and is easilly fitted yourself just a matter of two allen bolts and two multiplugs although it is a bit cramped. If your mate is going to replace it he may want to consider buying the upgraded one from ACE Competition it's made by Haldex aswell and the same price
  11. AndybS3

AndybS3 Member

[Oct 26, 2004]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stevie S3 said:
    I'm shiting my self now. Sounds like the problems that used to be associated with the old Cavy turbos. Thought I'd bought a car that was better than all that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Can the Haldex failure occur even on a car that has had the oil and filter changes as recomended?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Can believe this [censored] man. £1400 / £3000 is alot of cash. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The Cavy turbo problem was the clutches inside the transfer box (organic) Stevie nobody would even fit one tyre for you you had to get all four replaced at a time irrespective of the tread left because a mm or two of a difference would knacker the box. I had three (or was it four) different transfer boxes.
    The Haldex problem is the controller, completely electronic so the oil and filter change would not make a bit of difference