Audi Courtesy Car bump - How does the insurance work?

Stevo985

Reaction score
Hi all.

My significant other is also an Audi owner (A1 S Line). She took her car in for a service yesterday so had a courtesy car for the day. When she was taking the courtesy car back, she bumped a customer's car in the car park of the dealership (Tamworth Audi).

Nothing catastrophic, just some scratches to both vehicles.

Audi immediately made her pay the £250 insurance excess when it happened, but she seems to think they also told her they'd be in touch to let her know how much she owes.

Does anyone know how this works? Surely if she's on their insurance and she's paid the excess, any costs should be covered by the insurance? Why would she have to pay more?

She's obviously worried and annoyed at herself. Any info greatly appreciated!

What was the excess on the loan car, I've seen them between £250 to £1,000

what does it say on the loan car documentation?
As far as I can tell it implies that costs are covered by insurance unless the car was being driven recklessly (which it wasn't, it was done while parking) or if she had lied in her declaration when she signed it (which she didn't).

If it wasn't for the fact she's adamant the lady at the delaership told her she'd be in touch today with the total bill I'd assume from the paperwork that the excess was all my other half would have to pay.

i'd only expect to pay the excess... if you are paying for the repair cost then there is no insurance claim!

Reactions: Ghost
i'd only expect to pay the excess... if you are paying for the repair cost then there is no insurance claim!
This was my logic too, so glad someone else agrees :)

The only thing I can think of is that the lady at the dealership said they'd cost up the repairs and if it was less than the excess they'd just charge my other half for the repairs instead of claiming on the insurance, and my OH misunderstood!

it wouldn't be the first time a garage has confused someone

They called yesterday.

Firstly they apologised. To elaborate, the bump was so minor that my other half didn't even feel it happen. So was sat in the dealership unaware until the customer who's car she scratched came in going a bit mad.
So the delaership thought she was pulling a fast one and trying to get away with it.

The OH was very embarrassed and upset.

Anyway, they called to apologise and said they hadn't handled it very well and could tell from my OH's reaction that it was genuine and she wasn't trying to get away with it. So it was nice that they did that I guess.
They explained that it was exactly as I'd thought. They were costing up the repairs and if it was less than the excess then they'd refund the excess and only charge her the repair amount. If it was more then the insurance should cover it.

audi and realistic price dont go togeather hope it get sorted quick for you and your other half

Reactions: DieselJake
It was as I thought. They got in touch this week and said the repairs were more than the excess so that was all she had to pay.
The other half is still annoyed at herself but in reality it's not that bad.

£250 down the drain but her own insurance is unaffected which will be more beneficial long term.

Technically she should also report it to her own insurance company as well...

Technically she should also report it to her own insurance company as well...
I wouldn't bother... Technically you are right, but in reality who would realisticaly declare it when all that happens is your own premium going up while nobody else suffered or lost out? The other Audi gets fixed and everyone is happy...ish