1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Connect

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by RossR, May 6, 2013.

1. RossR

RossR Member

2. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Member

Too little too late, IMHO. Plenty of better alternatives available on iPhone/Android etc. (Waze, Siri, ...) for zero incremental cost compared to this from Audi.
  3. MouseGB

MouseGB Member

I've looked into this and doing 30,000 miles a year I still can't see why it's worth the money and then the monthly charge. Your iPhone will do everything you need
  4. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

And, despite Audi's publicity rubbish about integrating with Apple devices in the future, this won't work with an iPhone! Epic fail.
  5. RossR

RossR Member

By the same reasoning there is no point in built in sat navs or any of the tech pack. There are advantages to having things built-in (steering wheel controls, always charged, dead reckoning inside tunnels, etc.) but it's a personal choice which route you prefer.
  6. jet_andy

jet_andy Member

Note that if you have the Tech pack you get TMC traffic data anyway.
  7. jet_andy

jet_andy Member

This is not an issue with Audi - it's Apple who won't play ball with remote SIM access.

Lots of modern cars use this. I get issued with a s**t iPhone by work and would much rather have an Android, which would work.
  8. Gazzz

Gazzz Member

The thing is, nobody wants remote sim anymore (hence it now being dropped from Android now too). For example, if I receive an SMS while I'm in the car, I dont want the record of it to stay in the car - I want it on my phone, with all the other ones. Now that newer Bluetooth profiles are available, which allow you to make calls, read address books, read recent callers, read/send an SMS, use the phone's data, etc, there really isn't a need for remote sim. Other than using an external antenna (rather than the phone one), I cannot see what benefit it has

Unfortunately, as with most tech (satnav maps anyone?), Audi seems to be a good few years behind the curve
  9. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

Granted but Audi aren't helping their case by not allowing the Connect systems to use a dedicated SIM for data but still connect to a phone via Bluetooth for calls.

At least this has been the case on previous models - not sure if they've actually addressed this shortcoming on the A3.
  10. Gazzz

Gazzz Member

I hope they have, as Audi Connect is of little use to me without! Mobile Broadband SIM in the car, then leave my phone to use up it's own data allowance. Certainly that seems the logical way forwards at the moment (although that may change once 4G launches properly, if it results in the mobile networks starting to provide more useful data allowances)
  11. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've read in a brochure about the connect that my dealer sent me that a software update 'mid 2013' will in fact allow both a SIM card and a phone connected via bluetooth to be used at the same time, so that's good news - although not a problem for me as my phone supports rSAP without a problem.

Will be ordering mine soon!
  12. cemerson

Full Ts and Cs here - warning though, it looks like you can only use some of the services for 3 years after getting the car, then they are disabled!

Gazzz likes this.
  13. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to aud-sport.net. Where are you located? Any pics of the car? Enjoy the forum. :) x
  14. cemerson

Cheers! Not ordered yet, but will be a 2.0 TDI Sportback with loads of toys hopefully. I'm in Nottingham. I was going to wait for the 184PS version but I'm not waiting till November for it so the 150 it is!
    Sandra likes this.
  15. Sandra

Sandra MODERATOR Staff Member Moderator

You have come to the right place for info and advice, we are all very friendly on here. The time will soon pass in till younget your new car. We are already in may, the year is going in quick. :) x
  16. cemerson

Yup! Looking forward to it - I'm just waiting for the connect system to become available to order, which I suspect will come with the MY2014 changes
  17. number3

number3 Member

not sure you have to have the tech pack for that, i have the standard setup with DAB and Satnav and have the TMC.
  18. RossR

RossR Member

Connect still isn't listed properly on the configurator. However, I got the Audi code from my order and the website accepts it: ANYLGUBT.
  19. cemerson

Yup, same for mine - AFY74PU6
  20. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

He he.... or ahead of it... I know RSAP almost disappeared with the last Symbian Nokias, but now Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus and just about all manufacturers' new model (incl all of VAG) are now requiring RSAP to link your phone (or you can get a sim and pay for a new data contract).

Android has always supported it, but some manufacturers chose to cut corners (like Apple) and drop the full Bluetooth feature set as is it was a feature that very few peopel were expecting and it was just one more thing to test.

My preference is HTC hardware, but Samsung have always supported RSAP and continue to do so.... until the other phone manufacturers catch up with Samsung and Audi, that's the combination I'm stuck with - at least I can trash the Samsung OS and use a generic Android OS.
  21. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member

Wow, nearly a year between the first post...
  22. illingworth22

illingworth22 Active Member

I have my iPhone connected to the MMI Nav plus via BT and have a dedicated Data Sim in the car
  23. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Yep - that's the only option available to people whose phones don't support RSAP, but it's a waste to have a second SIM if your phone does it all for you as you'd have to buy two data plans. I like the idea of two SIM cards on the same number/plan, but apparently UK networks aren't allowed to offer that any more.
  24. cemerson

My phone supports RSAP but I prefer a second SIM, otherwise messages and call logs for you phone will be stored in the car instead.