Facelift Audi Connect - In Car Wi-Fi

Jamie_P90

Reaction score
Can anybody enlighten me to what is actually possible with this?
Can I connect my daughters tablet to the car for long journeys?

Hi Jamie, I'm assuming it's the same on new A3 so yes you can but you'll need to insert a data sim to allow this (I'm not sure whether you can just pair to your phone and allow wifi that way)

I think someone said recently you can't create a wifi hotspot and tether from the built-in sim card, so yes you would need to provide your own data sim card... unless you can buy a data package through Audi to allow this from the built-in sim...?

You can buy data plans for the built in sim for tethering. Don't know what the costs are for them though.

Can anybody enlighten me to what is actually possible with this?
Can I connect my daughters tablet to the car for long journeys?

You can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously to the Wi-Fi hot spot. I have it in my car and it works really well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously to the Wi-Fi hot spot. I have it in my car and it works really well.

Did you have to pay extra for that?

It's part of the Technology package with Mobile telephone preparation - High with Audi Connect.

Mine is from 2014 so is PFL - therefore no embedded SIM. I have a Three data SIM - 12 months or 12GB for £23 and I never use anything like that - even with Google Earth and wi-fi when I'm in the car.

Mine is from 2014 so is PFL - therefore no embedded SIM. I have a Three data SIM - 12 months or 12GB for £23 and I never use anything like that - even with Google Earth and wi-fi when I'm in the car.

Ah ok. The thing we are trying to ascertain is if the new embedded sim allows free hotpoint access or whether we need to add the data plan ourselves

Ah ok. The thing we are trying to ascertain is if the new embedded sim allows free hotpoint access or whether we need to add the data plan ourselves

I think someone else mentioned on another thread... Embedded sim doesn't allow hotspot access, but you can add a data plan for this. I'm keen to know also!

I think it was also said if you insert a SIM card, it overrides the built-in sim.

Reactions: allanmb
Ok, I just registered on "MyAudi" (not "YourAudi") and you have to buy a data plan for wifi hotspot access. It allows you to go to a partner website to purchase a data plan but I don't know how much they cost

Reactions: Gordo77
Ok, I just registered on "MyAudi" (not "YourAudi") and you have to buy a data plan for wifi hotspot access. It allows you to go to a partner website to purchase a data plan but I don't know how much they cost

Cubic Telecom...?

Yes thats the one "Data Inside" sold by Cubic Telecom

Aahhh I thought it would be them. Keep us updated on how you get on. If I can get away with just using the embedded sim that would be good, but a 12Gb Three sim that lasts a year for a one-off payment sounds ok too.

Just had a look at the Data Plan prices... :wtf:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160902-215721.png
    Screenshot_20160902-215721.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 233
Those prices were typical of about 5 years ago! I'd go with the 3 sim for £23 instead ;-)

Reactions: glospete and SimonM95
And that's progress? WTF? We know that Tesla has a "Ludicrous" driving mode so I think I'll name the Audi data plan as their "Ludicrous" mode! I highly recommend the Three Data package as you won't need a mortgage to pay for it.

Oh and don't forget the Three's excellent Feel At Home system where you can use your data sim abroad in many countries at no extra cost. I see that the Ludicrous mode charges even more for European use.

Reactions: Gordo77
Those prices were typical of about 5 years ago! I'd go with the 3 sim for £23 instead ;-)

Is that £23 a year or a month? How much data do you get for that?

I paid £23 for 12 months or 12GB whichever comes first. 7DayShop.com were offering this deal with Three Data SIM. Usual price is higher but there are always deals around. I never get through 12GB in 12 months so that lasts me for the full 12 months.

With the 3 sim in, does that override the embedded sim? As in, are we going to be using that for map updates, google maps etc?

With the 3 sim in, does that override the embedded sim? As in, are we going to be using that for map updates, google maps etc?

I think someone else confirmed that, yes... Although, you might be able to choose which data source it uses...?

There are some reports that the Three Feel at Home data service is speed-limited outside of the UK, so it won't feel quite as at home as you may expect. I look forward to this being refuted here, as I am tempted to get a Three sim for use in the USA later this year, but won't bother if the data rate is reduced.