1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi concert stereo issue

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by arch-stanton, Nov 10, 2011.

1. arch-stanton

arch-stanton Member

Hi all,

I have a 1999 B5 1.8 TQS with the concert Bose stereo. Just recently, when playing a CD it just stops and 'NO CD' pops up on the display.. this can last anywhere from 10 secs up to 2 mins.. It's getting more and more regular now, so needs sorting..

Anyone have any experience of this? Is there an easy fix?
  2. jcb

jcb Active Member

new CD changer I am afraid.
    happens to all of them after a while.

you can take it out and give it a good clean but the issue is with the laser unit and a real faff to replace.
    I have a spare one but never replaced it as I just use the ipod now
  3. arch-stanton

arch-stanton Member

Thanks, so it's not good news then.. I bought the CD changer from Audi only a few years ago as well... the volume control went on the head unit a while back, so I think it's time to look at something new.. any recommends?
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

I've just fitted a nice Pioneer 6300SD to mine. Its modern, but not blingy and doesnt look out of place. The illumination fits in perfectly with the TQS dashboard too, and it has USB, SD Card and Ipod connectivity.
  5. Oranoco

Oranoco Well-Known Member

Depends whether you are worried about how it looks in the dash?

Alpine and Pioneer would be my first choices for pure sound but finidng something you like the look of in the dash might be interesting.

Becker do some very OE looking units that sound superb
  6. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

I'll take some pics of mine in a bit!
  7. arch-stanton

arch-stanton Member

Thanks for the advice guys.. Is there a sticky with a guide to doing this?.. aren't the rear speakers wired up seperately to the amp or something like that?! .. electronics really aren't my thing.. I would need it explaining to me like I'm a 5 yr old!
  8. Nessy

Nessy VW + Audi mad

Before you go rushing out to buy a new stereo etc, it might be worth checking the cable that leads from the front of the car and plugs into the changer is nice and secure , and is making a good contact?
    It very probably is your CD changer, I've got a fairly recent (18 months) factory exchange changer in my Avant and it hates damp/cold weather!
    For the sake of 10 minutes of your time though it's something worth checking IMHO.......