1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi by Loch Fyne

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jdp1962, Jun 25, 2006.

1. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jun 25, 2006]
    Am just back from a week on the Isle of Bute. It's an amazing place. Took these pics of the car while dodging the showers:

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 17, 2014]

3. Olly_K

Olly_K Administrator

[Jun 25, 2006]
    very nice !
    where exactly is the Isle of Bute ?
  4. jdp1962

[Jun 25, 2006]
    It's off the west coast, nestling in the outer reaches of the Clyde estuary. See the red pin on the attached map. You get there by ferry from Wemyss Bay on the mainland:

[​IMG]
  5. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

[Jun 25, 2006]
    Hi Jeff ,
    yip lovely place where u up holidaying? or buisness?
    next time your up that way , have a look at oban even prettier !
  6. jdp1962

[Jun 25, 2006]
    It was a short holiday, designed to coincide with the summer solstice. Unfortunately, instead of a breathtaking 11pm sunset over Cowal & Loch Striven, we just got monsoon rain & 50mph winds.
  7. jpda3

jpda3 Member

[Jun 25, 2006]
    excellent pic......

1 thing comes to mind.........
    not 1 dead insect on bumper, wing mirrors or winscreen
  8. Khufu

Khufu Active Member

[Jun 26, 2006]
    been up round that way on my bosses speed boat, up near Kames and Tighnabruaich way. Its far from the madding crowd! Single track? That will be the main road then LOL
  9. jdp1962

[Jun 26, 2006]
    That's because the car had just been cleaned, LOL! When we arrived on the island after a 500 mile schlepp from Kent, it was pretty obvious that several dozen species of tiny winged creature had been rendered extinct in the process. Then, after the car spent a night parked under a tree, it was covered in bird $hit. I didn't want that eating into the paintwork for a week, so I took the car to the local garden centre where Kev valeted it for me.

In case you're wondering why I took my car to the garden centre to be cleaned, one of the first things you learn about small communities like Rothesay is that it is not easy to make a living, and nearly every commercial entreprise doubles up and offers more than one public service.

If I could just figure out a way to make a living there myself, I'd emigrate like a shot.
  10. jdp1962

[Jun 26, 2006]
    Apart from loving the beauty of the place, I also love the isolation and tranquility. If I'd turned round and pointed the camera the other way, I'd have just about picked out Tighnabruaich (d@mned glad you spelled it first!) in the gloom across Loch Fyne. We went there on a previous visit a couple of years back. We got the short ferry back to the mainland at Colintraive & drove round Cowal peninsular for hours, just taking in whatever we found.

There's a spot high up on the road to Tighnabruaich that looks out across the Kyles of Bute. The view is something else. Here's a pic

[​IMG]