Audi B7 2.0T engine failures, quattro, Audi uk, engine Issues,

riccccccardo

Reaction score
Dear motoring world and all those concerned, my Audi problems.

December 2014 I purchased car 1 privately a 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T s line tfsi on 92k miles, full Audi service history. I paid a reputable mecanic I’d used for eight years to change water pump , timing belt change and a full service.

On date 6/5/15 car 1 while stuck in slow moving traffic in south London the car engine failed randomly with no warning, vehicle towed to Mecanic.
Mecanic informed me reason for failure Audi part known to commonly fail on my vehicle called the OIL CHAIN PUMP had failed resulting major total engine failure.

27/05/15

Contacted Audi uk customer service to invite Audi Bromley to view the vehicle located at mecanic’s. I was told someone would come.
28/05/15

Audi master technician (from Audi Bromley branch) viewed my vehicle at Mecanics. No written report done by Audi, but confirmed verbally to Audi Bromley service manager Richard Balcomb the OIL CHAIN PUMP FAILURE.

01/06/15

Cased assigned to Audi uk case manager.
01/06/15
Audi case manager Ben O informed me repair may cost £4500.

08/06/15

Via phone spoke to Audi business manager Mathew Well’s. I explained the situation to him, which I was informed he would get back to me via email which he never did.
09/06/15

Audi case manager Ben O closed my case, stating “Audi legal department said, Audi cannot prove when oil chain pump failed, if the vehicle continued to be driven whilst warning light on, so cannot support cost of repair, we cannot apply good will discount because vehicle not bought from Audi” he also mentioned the repair would be uneconomical due to costing more then the vehicle £7000-£8000 new replacement engine cost.

I asked for a contact address to use for a small claims court and was given ‘Audi auk, Brunswick court, Yeomes Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keyes, MK14 5LR.
As a result I had to scrap the vehicle at a great loss to myself. Audi treated me poorly leaving me very upset.

Moving onto 2015

Thinking car 1 was a one off. I did truly disire this specific vehicle model Audi A4 B7. I did my research re oil chain pump design changed in 2007 + and purchased car 2 also bought privately a 2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0T s line tfsi on 88k miles, full Audi service history.

On mileage 94k guess what happened? While driving at around ten mph around the corner from my house. I had another major engine failure re OIL CHAIN PUMP to my shock horror. I debated heavily with Audi uk for the car to be fixed by them for free but they refused and instead offered me an Audi exciutive £250 Audi voucher I was livid and furious. I could not even reply back as I was speechless given what had happened to car 1 and car 2 both suffering the same issue.

This time I could not afford to scrap another Audi vehicle. I paid Audi Chingford around £2880 (with good will discount applied aprrently) that cost hit me hard I literally had to take out a loan to pay for the repair as I could not afford to pay it (I am still in debt today due to the loan). I was a mess I paid it and decided enough was enough if Audi was not going to help me re OIL CHAIN PUMP failure id take them to court. On my extensive research I found that Audi did in fact know of this issue, also on many online forums this issued had happened to many other Audi owners. To my surprise no uk lawyer or uk group has sued Audi uk over this fault in their engines.

I started court proceedings against Audi uk re the above.

I requested from Audi uk Solictors;
04/07/16
I request the following that re my case against Audi uk/vw that they have all knowledge of as I will need this information from Audi. All stats/information to include engines failures for Audi/vw 2.0 TFSI specifically years 2005 to 2007 reported up to present date of year 2016 to Audi preferably in hard copy paper form sent to my address;

1.Statistics for engine failures for all Audi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007.

2.Statistics for engine failures for all Audi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007 reference, oil chain pump failures. Including engine failures related and/or parts connected to oil chain pump such as a part called the follower that sits ontop of chain on oil chain pump for example.

3.A break down of engine failures ofAudi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007 inside warrenty period and outside that period.

4.Can I request what compensations were offerred to owners engine failures of Audi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007.

5. Request a full report of why 2005 to 2007 Audi/vw 2.0 TFSI engines fail reference oil chain pump/related parts near to oil chain pump.
Which they did not supply to me.

I only got a small insignificant amount from them that in no way coverd the thosaunds of pounds I lost ref the two Audi vehicles.

On the 20/07/16 eventually Audi uk lawyers settling out of court with me offering a small token amount towards the thousands I’d spent fixing car 2.

I emailed all the Audi/vw directors I could find about my story and not one of them had the fortitude to email or contact me back.

Moving onto 2016

Unfotunetly the drama does not end. Car 2 had several oil warning lights go off.

March 2016: full service Audi Chingford (no engine issues reported).

APRIL 2016: Oil chain pump failure, resulting in engine rebuild at Audi garage (around 94000k).

23rd July 2016: check engine oil light on (97228k)

16th August 2016: Engine oil pressure too low warning light (97826k).

3rd December 2016: check engine oil light on (100187k).

I complained and eventually brought car 2 back to Audi chingford, they had the vehicle for several days for for me to be told ‘there’s nothing wrong with the vehicle and they cannot find anything wrong’ I was very surprised but I took their word for it, until I got one or more engine oil warning lights. I got straight on the phone to Audi uk where I was eventually told the oil usage for my vehicle was normal and I should expect to re oil my vehicle around every three months. I was confused as before the Oil chain pump failure it ran way more the three months with no oil warning lights.
So I needed a second opinion.

Moving on to 2017

I elected to find a next Audi. I found a service centre called Audi Harold wood. I requested from them a service, front disc brakes change and most importantly to find the source of my engine oil warning lights. They came back to me confirming what I’d known all along, there was something physically wrong with it. With engine oil saturating the sump, but at that time they could not pin point exactly where the issue was. I was asked to drive the vehicle at least four-hundred miles then bring it back for further investigation.

At this point I was impressed that they had confirmed a fault. I booked the vehicle in for March 2017. I received a call from a manager called John, John informed me or words to effect ‘They think the leak is around the OIL COOLER (I think he said), he said if Audi Chingford did not touch/move/replace it at all you would have to pay for the repair. He will find out from his master technician to give me a result.

20/03/17

I emailed all the Audi and Vw directors I could find again this time. I wanted to share my pain, frustration, feedback and unhappiness with Audi management etc….., re two different Audi A4 2.0T TFSI vehicles.

21/03/17
I received an email back from a Audi customer service rep informing me Cian O’Brien, Director of Audi UK has started an investigation re my issues.

The end

22/03/17

Informed by Audi Harold Wood Manager, Rocker cover gasket £256, oil cooler £256, £87 labour and looking at another part mite need replacing possibly oil cooler hose, best will give me is 10% discount good will.

I
am majorly annoyed that coincidently the oil chain pump fails Then soon after oil lights, oil leaks and then oil related parts are found to need replacing, madness! Yet more money to spent even for a now around ten year old vehicle it’s outrageous.

2303/17

I spoke with an Audi uk customer service person Nicola B, who informed me after she looked at the history of my issues no help will be offered to me by Audi uk, suggesting I part exchange the vehicle.

I feel due to all……. the above car 1-2 the repair should be done for free or super good will discount with Audi footing the bill.

Conclusion

From my short three years experience with the Audi brand, Audi uk and Audi vehicles it’s been a financially painful journey (re car 1+2 spent close to £20,000 in totality), very stressful, probably putting me off ever owning an Audi vehicle. Even though I love the look of some of their vehicles. I felt let down by the vehicles for breaking not once but twice, Audi uk making me a £250 voucher offer to cover thousands of pounds of repairs and their generally poor handling of a situation that I’m unfortunately not the first person this has happened to. I suggest to anyone thinking of purchasing a Audi 2.0 Tfsi B7 model DON’T stay well clear of this Audi vehicle is my best advise. This will likely be my last ever Audi vehicle maybe. I shall take the little money I have left on the earth to go to another brand like Lexus etc……….

Attachments

• IMG_5495.JPG
    IMG_5495.JPG
    929.2 KB · Views: 814
  • IMG_5496.JPG
    IMG_5496.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 500
Reactions: Marc B7
Two second hand private cars? Sounds like you bought two lemons(unfortunately)

I can't understand why Audi would foot the bill?
You just sound a bit bitter about the situation which is understandable, but just because you don't want to pay for it doesn't mean that Audi should.

Dear motoring world and all those concerned, my Audi problems.

December 2014 I purchased car 1 privately a 2005 Audi A4 B7 2.0T s line tfsi on 92k miles, full Audi service history. I paid a reputable mecanic I’d used for eight years to change water pump , timing belt change and a full service.

On date 6/5/15 car 1 while stuck in slow moving traffic in south London the car engine failed randomly with no warning, vehicle towed to Mecanic.
Mecanic informed me reason for failure Audi part known to commonly fail on my vehicle called the OIL CHAIN PUMP had failed resulting major total engine failure.

27/05/15

Contacted Audi uk customer service to invite Audi Bromley to view the vehicle located at mecanic’s. I was told someone would come.
28/05/15

Audi master technician (from Audi Bromley branch) viewed my vehicle at Mecanics. No written report done by Audi, but confirmed verbally to Audi Bromley service manager Richard Balcomb the OIL CHAIN PUMP FAILURE.

01/06/15

Cased assigned to Audi uk case manager.
01/06/15
Audi case manager Ben O informed me repair may cost £4500.

08/06/15

Via phone spoke to Audi business manager Mathew Well’s. I explained the situation to him, which I was informed he would get back to me via email which he never did.
09/06/15

Audi case manager Ben O closed my case, stating “Audi legal department said, Audi cannot prove when oil chain pump failed, if the vehicle continued to be driven whilst warning light on, so cannot support cost of repair, we cannot apply good will discount because vehicle not bought from Audi” he also mentioned the repair would be uneconomical due to costing more then the vehicle £7000-£8000 new replacement engine cost.

I asked for a contact address to use for a small claims court and was given ‘Audi auk, Brunswick court, Yeomes Drive, Blakelands, Milton Keyes, MK14 5LR.
As a result I had to scrap the vehicle at a great loss to myself. Audi treated me poorly leaving me very upset.

Moving onto 2015

Thinking car 1 was a one off. I did truly disire this specific vehicle model Audi A4 B7. I did my research re oil chain pump design changed in 2007 + and purchased car 2 also bought privately a 2007 Audi A4 B7 2.0T s line tfsi on 88k miles, full Audi service history.

On mileage 94k guess what happened? While driving at around ten mph around the corner from my house. I had another major engine failure re OIL CHAIN PUMP to my shock horror. I debated heavily with Audi uk for the car to be fixed by them for free but they refused and instead offered me an Audi exciutive £250 Audi voucher I was livid and furious. I could not even reply back as I was speechless given what had happened to car 1 and car 2 both suffering the same issue.

This time I could not afford to scrap another Audi vehicle. I paid Audi Chingford around £2880 (with good will discount applied aprrently) that cost hit me hard I literally had to take out a loan to pay for the repair as I could not afford to pay it (I am still in debt today due to the loan). I was a mess I paid it and decided enough was enough if Audi was not going to help me re OIL CHAIN PUMP failure id take them to court. On my extensive research I found that Audi did in fact know of this issue, also on many online forums this issued had happened to many other Audi owners. To my surprise no uk lawyer or uk group has sued Audi uk over this fault in their engines.

I started court proceedings against Audi uk re the above.

I requested from Audi uk Solictors;
04/07/16
I request the following that re my case against Audi uk/vw that they have all knowledge of as I will need this information from Audi. All stats/information to include engines failures for Audi/vw 2.0 TFSI specifically years 2005 to 2007 reported up to present date of year 2016 to Audi preferably in hard copy paper form sent to my address;

1.Statistics for engine failures for all Audi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007.

2.Statistics for engine failures for all Audi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007 reference, oil chain pump failures. Including engine failures related and/or parts connected to oil chain pump such as a part called the follower that sits ontop of chain on oil chain pump for example.

3.A break down of engine failures ofAudi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007 inside warrenty period and outside that period.

4.Can I request what compensations were offerred to owners engine failures of Audi uk/vw vehicles using 2.0 TFSI dated between 2005 to 2007.

5. Request a full report of why 2005 to 2007 Audi/vw 2.0 TFSI engines fail reference oil chain pump/related parts near to oil chain pump.
Which they did not supply to me.

I only got a small insignificant amount from them that in no way coverd the thosaunds of pounds I lost ref the two Audi vehicles.

On the 20/07/16 eventually Audi uk lawyers settling out of court with me offering a small token amount towards the thousands I’d spent fixing car 2.

I emailed all the Audi/vw directors I could find about my story and not one of them had the fortitude to email or contact me back.

Moving onto 2016

Unfotunetly the drama does not end. Car 2 had several oil warning lights go off.

March 2016: full service Audi Chingford (no engine issues reported).

APRIL 2016: Oil chain pump failure, resulting in engine rebuild at Audi garage (around 94000k).

23rd July 2016: check engine oil light on (97228k)

16th August 2016: Engine oil pressure too low warning light (97826k).

3rd December 2016: check engine oil light on (100187k).

I complained and eventually brought car 2 back to Audi chingford, they had the vehicle for several days for for me to be told ‘there’s nothing wrong with the vehicle and they cannot find anything wrong’ I was very surprised but I took their word for it, until I got one or more engine oil warning lights. I got straight on the phone to Audi uk where I was eventually told the oil usage for my vehicle was normal and I should expect to re oil my vehicle around every three months. I was confused as before the Oil chain pump failure it ran way more the three months with no oil warning lights.
So I needed a second opinion.

Moving on to 2017

I elected to find a next Audi. I found a service centre called Audi Harold wood. I requested from them a service, front disc brakes change and most importantly to find the source of my engine oil warning lights. They came back to me confirming what I’d known all along, there was something physically wrong with it. With engine oil saturating the sump, but at that time they could not pin point exactly where the issue was. I was asked to drive the vehicle at least four-hundred miles then bring it back for further investigation.

At this point I was impressed that they had confirmed a fault. I booked the vehicle in for March 2017. I received a call from a manager called John, John informed me or words to effect ‘They think the leak is around the OIL COOLER (I think he said), he said if Audi Chingford did not touch/move/replace it at all you would have to pay for the repair. He will find out from his master technician to give me a result.

20/03/17

I emailed all the Audi and Vw directors I could find again this time. I wanted to share my pain, frustration, feedback and unhappiness with Audi management etc….., re two different Audi A4 2.0T TFSI vehicles.

21/03/17
I received an email back from a Audi customer service rep informing me Cian O’Brien, Director of Audi UK has started an investigation re my issues.

The end

22/03/17

Informed by Audi Harold Wood Manager, Rocker cover gasket £256, oil cooler £256, £87 labour and looking at another part mite need replacing possibly oil cooler hose, best will give me is 10% discount good will.

I
am majorly annoyed that coincidently the oil chain pump fails Then soon after oil lights, oil leaks and then oil related parts are found to need replacing, madness! Yet more money to spent even for a now around ten year old vehicle it’s outrageous.

2303/17

I spoke with an Audi uk customer service person Nicola B, who informed me after she looked at the history of my issues no help will be offered to me by Audi uk, suggesting I part exchange the vehicle.

I feel due to all……. the above car 1-2 the repair should be done for free or super good will discount with Audi footing the bill.

Conclusion

From my short three years experience with the Audi brand, Audi uk and Audi vehicles it’s been a financially painful journey (re car 1+2 spent close to £20,000 in totality), very stressful, probably putting me off ever owning an Audi vehicle. Even though I love the look of some of their vehicles. I felt let down by the vehicles for breaking not once but twice, Audi uk making me a £250 voucher offer to cover thousands of pounds of repairs and their generally poor handling of a situation that I’m unfortunately not the first person this has happened to. I suggest to anyone thinking of purchasing a Audi 2.0 Tfsi B7 model DON’T stay well clear of this Audi vehicle is my best advise. This will likely be my last ever Audi vehicle maybe. I shall take the little money I have left on the earth to go to another brand like Lexus etc……….

Oil pumps and balancer units on the B7 4 pot, diesel or petrol, are woefully badly engineered. Should in my opinion have been product recalled long ago but haven't. The oil chains like the injectors and coil packs, last just long enough to get audi off the hook with the warranty and leave you screwed as a second hand buyer.

The only way round is to go in eyes open and modify the pump to a gear driven type with a longer Allen key drive for the pump. Took me 16hrs but the result is piece of mind.

Oil consumption was an issue with all of these engines and the sumps being of quite low capacity compounds the issue. 1l every 1000 miles I think was the acceptable limit for audi. Mine does 1 litre every 3000 miles which by all accounts isn't bad.

Sorry for you issues and experience, I think you can't expect much from car companies, anything you do get is a bonus! Maybe the only one is Toyota, but the amount of recalls they have had lately I can't imagine they will be in business much longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the only one is Toyota, but the amount of recalls they have had lately I can't imagine they will be in business much longer!

I'm sorry but that statement is laughable. Toyota / Lexus are only ranked as the largest producer of vehicles in the world. Producing some 10,083,831 vehicles in 2015 compared to VW / Audi's 9,872,424 which put them in 2nd place.

Toyota even have a city in Japan! Other manufacturers will go under LONG LONG before them! Saying Toyota will go under is like saying Honda (the worlds largest engine manufacturer) will stop producing engines.

I'm sorry but that statement is laughable. Toyota / Lexus are only ranked as the largest producer of vehicles in the world. Producing some 10,083,831 vehicles in 2015 compared to VW / Audi's 9,872,424 which put them in 2nd place.

Toyota even have a city in Japan! Other manufacturers will go under LONG LONG before them! Saying Toyota will go under is like saying Honda (the worlds largest engine manufacturer) will stop producing engines.

All true, I meant more as a demonstration of difference in business attitudes.

Audi not supporting their customers well, unlike what Toyota would do with a recall; your left to fight on a case by case basis.

Which is cheaper for audi, more profitable for their dealers, for the work and ultimately is a bottom line exercise. Likely an accountant has weighed off between brand name damage and paying out for a recall.

Ultimately trading off between those who are attracted to the luxury brand and those who now are distrustful of the brand after their experience.

It's a shrewd business practice and one which is against the ethos of Toyota for sure. But I'm also sure it effects the profits of Toyota as well. I can't imagine recalling millions of Prius for faulty pedals etc was cheap!

Ultimately - audi thinks that oil chain failure is 5-10 year old cars won't really do much to hurt the residual values for cars under finance or new car sales most of which are traded in after 3 years or so.

Two second hand private cars? Sounds like you bought two lemons(unfortunately)

I can't understand why Audi would foot the bill?
You just sound a bit bitter about the situation which is understandable, but just because you don't want to pay for it doesn't mean that Audi should.
Thank you for your input much appreciated.

Oil pumps and balancer units on the B7 4 pot, diesel or petrol, are woefully badly engineered. Should in my opinion have been product recalled long ago but haven't. The oil chains like the injectors and coil packs, last just long enough to get audi off the hook with the warranty and leave you screwed as a second hand buyer.

The only way round is to go in eyes open and modify the pump to a gear driven type with a longer Allen key drive for the pump. Took me 16hrs but the result is piece of mind.

Oil consumption was an issue with all of these engines and the sumps being of quite low capacity compounds the issue. 1l every 1000 miles I think was the acceptable limit for audi. Mine does 1 litre every 3000 miles which by all accounts isn't bad.

Sorry for you issues and experience, I think you can't expect much from car companies, anything you do get is a bonus! Maybe the only one is Toyota, but the amount of recalls they have had lately I can't imagine they will be in business much longer!

Thank you for your input much appreciated.

Did you not look into the 1.8t oil pump conversion kits or the upgraded solid pulley upgrade for these engines when you had issues with your first car? Which engine codes were they?

Interesting thread with a sad conclusion and not one that everyone suffers from, the down side of this type of thread is that it scares the hell out of other owners and possible owners , also frightens a lot of possible new owners away from the variant , which is sad really as it's a very good car .
It's a known "possible" issue but not everyone will be effected by it and as with most cars they all have their issues some worse than others , A4 B7's have a fair few "possible issues " some worse than others and the vast majority of owners suffer very few major problems during their ownership.

I have had more than my fair share of problems with my old bus, but , I still have it and 30k miles and 3 years on and its running nicely.
So maybe it should be " buyer be aware " when they move into A4 B7 ownership and not "buyer beware " , there are a lot out there and a lot have had issues , but a hell of a lot are fine and may never be a problem to their owners.

Reactions: Baka
Interesting thread with a sad conclusion and not one that everyone suffers from, the down side of this type of thread is that it scares the hell out of other owners and possible owners , also frightens a lot of possible new owners away from the variant , which is sad really as it's a very good car .
It's a known "possible" issue but not everyone will be effected by it and as with most cars they all have their issues some worse than others , A4 B7's have a fair few "possible issues " some worse than others and the vast majority of owners suffer very few major problems during their ownership.

I have had more than my fair share of problems with my old bus, but , I still have it and 30k miles and 3 years on and its running nicely.
So maybe it should be " buyer be aware " when they move into A4 B7 ownership and not "buyer beware " , there are a lot out there and a lot have had issues , but a hell of a lot are fine and may never be a problem to their owners.

I am currently in the 'planning to be a new owner boat' so I am doing as much research as I can, I am rather concerned about the oil pump issues, the HPFP follower issues and the piston ring oil consumption issues on this engine. I am actually as this very section looking at some electric oil pumps and pressure accumulators to run alongside the engine in case the worst were to happen. However I am feeling slightly better about this engine due to most of the issues having common fixes:

HPFP follower issue - just check the follower every service as its fairly easy to get to
Oil pump failure - 1.8T conversion kits or upgraded chain design to fix the flaw on the market
High oil consumption - sometimes its the rings (planning to rebuild my engine) but might be simply a clogged breather system

Silly question, how do I edit my THREAD on this site cannot I wish to edit this thread? I cant see edit option anywhere?

I also noticed my million spelling mistakes want to correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: DieselJake
Did you not look into the 1.8t oil pump conversion kits or the upgraded solid pulley upgrade for these engines when you had issues with your first car? Which engine codes were they?

No i did not. I was STRESSED OUT of my mind. i do not know code but it was 2005, 2.0T tfsi. I believe car 2 though i have I think its known as BUL engine. Also re car 2 I was surprised audi did not fit conversation kit for me as i thought audi supplied them? instead they put what was on before from looking at the receipt.

I kept meaning to as audi service centers i'm in if the new audi oil chain etc they fitted is a revised/better version or original that broke, but every single time i go into a center and talk about info i want to know we instead talk issues with my car i get anger, rage, upset etc etc...... because ££££££££ or maintenance stuff to be done or me trying to put my point across re oil chain/engine failure issues.

Last edited:
Silly question, how do I edit my THREAD on this site cannot I wish to edit this thread? I cant see edit option anywhere?

I also noticed my million spelling mistakes want to correct.

You can edit it for a certain amount of time then you can't... bit annoying in my opinion.

Reactions: riccccccardo
No i did not. I was STRESSED OUT of my mind. i do not know code but it was 2005, 2.0T tfsi. I believe car 2 though i have I think its known as BUL engine. Also re car 2 I was surprised audi did not fit conversation kit for me as i thought audi supplied them? instead they put what was on before from looking at the receipt.

I kept meaning to as audi service centers i'm in if the new audi oil chain etc they fitted is a revised/better version or original that broke, but every single time i go into a center and talk about info i want to know we instead talk issues with my car i get anger, rage, upset etc etc...... because ££££££££ or maintenance stuff to be done or me trying to put my point across re oil chain/engine failure issues.

I believe most of the kit is OEM Audi apart from the problematic sprocket which seem to be solid in the aftermarket kits rather than refitting the spring loaded version which fails. I do miss the days you could fix a car with a spanner, hammer and screwdriver, seems that newer cars are simply not built in the same way as older designs, yes they are usually more powerful or economical but only when they actually work. I don't even have the A4 project car yet and I am still deciding if its worth it owing to the known issues on the engine.

To be fair all those tools are still required to fix the car! The problem is getting the subframe off to deal with the pump and sprocket

To be fair all those tools are still required to fix the car! The problem is getting the subframe off to deal with the pump and sprocket

Is the sprocket not just behind the front cover behind the timing belt meaning you only need to drop the oil pan and remove the front cover to get access?