audi avant b8 auto tailgate open

r15wne

Reaction score
Now that the gas struts are giving in on the tailgate, was looking for some replacements and i stumbled
upon this mod....
its auto open tailgate from remote, i believe its an easy mod ,
anybody done the mod or know where to purchase the parts..
thanks..

It looks like they've just changed the gas struts to stronger ones as it does open rather quickly.

Comes up with a bit of a rush doesn't it? I wouldn't want to be behind it with the beer.

I have the electric boot open on my B8.4 avant and it's a lot smoother and more controlled than that. It also closes at the touch of a switch on the tailgate. (you can adjust the height it opens to if you're a half pint)

That looks like they've got remote unlock on the boot and some new struts to actively pull it open. Which looks like a recipe for disaster. Those struts will also be under pressurised compression most of the time. I wonder how long it'll be before they give up.

That's going to have your teeth out. :)

My saloon one just sort of rises up slowly.

I have the electric boot open on my B8.4 avant and it's a lot smoother and more controlled than that. It also closes at the touch of a switch on the tailgate. (you can adjust the height it opens to if you're a half pint)

That looks like they've got remote unlock on the boot and some new struts to actively pull it open. Which looks like a recipe for disaster. Those struts will also be under pressurised compression most of the time. I wonder how long it'll be before they give up.

Same on my B8.5 RS4 Avant, its standard. I do like it as I can close it via the key and/or button too.

Looks like a similar mod to the Golf Mk5 boot pop (changing to Fabia struts, Scirocco bumps and Leon ballpins).
It opens much slower than that though - sort of halfway between what my electric tailgate S4 one does, and the one in this video.

Can only imagine how difficult that big heavy tailgate, opened so high, on stiffer struts, is going to be to close.

****** hell I half expected odd job to get ejected !

Does not sound the best at the top, worn hinges in a year I predict

Some one on a MINI forum I'm a member of, did a similar thing on the boot on a hatchback MINI, which consisted of adding some stronger small springs to the struts, which enabled the boot to rise via the remote key fob

Only problem is the mod was knackering all the struts, which eventually had to be replaced

So if the mod in post no. 1 is adding small springs to the struts, you've been warned ...