1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi Assist story and 1.8Ts/S3s stil in warranty

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by evotista, Jan 7, 2004.

1. evotista

evotista Member

[Jan 7, 2004]
    Hi All,

Just thought all 1.8T/1.8T QS / S3 owners might be interested in the following story.

On christmas eve, wife was driving the 1.8T QS on the usual commute and while driving along noticed the engine management fault light had come on the display. The car was behaving normally and so she got the car to work and gave me a ring. I advised if it was seeming to run ok, bring it home after work and we'd get audi assist out to look at it.

Anyway once the car was home (still no apparent problems, but the light was still constantly on) i called audi assist. Within an hour a guy from audi assist pulls up at home and we give him the low down....obviously i was having dark thoughts about all kinds of potential engine nightmares... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gifbut he smiles and says you've got a common problem and he can fix it there and then.

What was the problem.....carbon build up inside the throttle body! Carbon deposits build up over time near the throttle body, thus redcuing the flow and so the engine compensates and runs richer but ultimately the ECU detects it's going out of range and flags the warning light. He quickly opened up the engine bay and took apart where the drive by wire throttle buttterfly is on the pipework and showed me the black interior. Given that the car had been in to an Audi Stealer only 3 months previous with engine issues, i was disappointed they hadn't caught this if it's a known problem. Anyway he cleans it all up and even better since mine is on an 01 Y plate, he does an automatic check of the coil packs and since they were all the original packs that were prone to failure...he puts on a new set of L's while he was there...excellent.

Anyway my thoughts are respect to audi assist for prompt turn out on chhristmas eve and doing an excellent job. If you are in warranty and still running on all original problem coil packs or even only some, it may be worth your while and give audi assist a ring and have it sorted at home. And for anyone running a 1.8T, perhaps part of our regular service routine should be check the throttle bodies every 6/12 months!

Just a bit more detail - my car is a Y 01 1.8 TQS, car is only 2 and half years in with 25k on the clock and non modded. Car is mainly fed on diet of optimax. The problem according to the audi assist guy bears no relation as to if the car is or isn't well maintained...it just happens.

My question to all you AS members is has anyone else had this happen?

Cheers

martin

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 23, 2014]

3. AL_B

AL_B Active Member

[Jan 7, 2004]
    Thats a great post Martin, and very useful information.

My S3 has had the engine warning light come on a number of occasions, and this was put down to the MAF sensor.

But, its worth knowing that carbon build up around the throttle body is also another possible cause.

Anyone know if the throttle body is easy to clean? What did the guy do Martin?

AL
  4. AlexStanley

AlexStanley Member

[Jan 7, 2004]
    I reckon that in the absence of a Haynes manual for the A3/S3, we ought to get some user guides on our site /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  5. benk

benk Member

[Jan 8, 2004]
    How long did it take the guy to clean up the throttle body?
  6. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Jan 9, 2004]
    Any instructions on how to clean the throttle body, as I want all the performance out the fuel I use!