Audi Ashtray Cup alternatives ?

just looked in mine (non smoking pack). Front socket is exactly the same as rear socket as you posted above. Couldn't get a light off it if you tried!

Cheers, Paul.

Wow that surprises me! I never thought they would actually wire them differently!

Here you go -

Cheers, Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
The wiring and fuse rating are probably identical. The different sockets are where the lower specs for the cig lighter come from, there is more contact area at the bottom of the 12v power socket than the 2 small connectors which touch the sides of the cig lighter. The greater surface area would allow more power to flow for longer without heating up the contacts, the cig lighter is only on briefly so does not need the beefed up contacts.

Jonathan

The wiring and fuse rating are probably identical. The different sockets are where the lower specs for the cig lighter come from, there is more contact area at the bottom of the 12v power socket than the 2 small connectors which touch the sides of the cig lighter. The greater surface area would allow more power to flow for longer without heating up the contacts, the cig lighter is only on briefly so does not need the beefed up contacts.

Jonathan

Makes sense really, plus the cig lighter will rely on the contacts heating up to release it!

I don't use anything that needs a large current drain anyway, but if I do I will just use the one in the back of the armrest anyway ;) and if I plug in a cool box I have the one in the boot too :)

Glad I went for the non smoking pack now. As never used the lighter in my current car away and didn't want the cup. Feel like I have gained slightly now.

Reactions: Daveotto and cemerson
Yup deffo fits in the lower position ;) is your spare a space saver?
Am I missing something obvious! Boot floor definitely won't go on lower level with spare (space saver) wheel in. Is it possibly because its a 3 door?

No, should be the some either way! Have you get something proping up your spare wheel? Is the subwoofer properly seated? Can you post photos? Definitely does go all the way down with mine!

Am I missing something obvious! Boot floor definitely won't go on lower level with spare (space saver) wheel in. Is it possibly because its a 3 door?

Yes I agree with cemerson, I have a 3 door and B&O and it sits perfectly flat in the lower position.

You don't have the tow bar option do you? This is the only ting I can think of that would stop you lowering the boot floor?

No, should be the some either way! Have you get something proping up your spare wheel? Is the subwoofer properly seated? Can you post photos? Definitely does go all the way down with mine!
Just spoke with Audi dealer - you have to take the spare wheel out to use the lower level. Can only assume the 3 door and SB models are different.

I really don't think that's right, as said above it's the same for 3 and 5 door. Can you post a photo up?

Just spoke with Audi dealer - you have to take the spare wheel out to use the lower level. Can only assume the 3 door and SB models are different.

Nope I have a 3 door and it fits in the lower position no problem. Will try and post pics later.

I have the space saver spare and standard boot floor (not the reversible one) I don't know if yours is different?

If there's one thing I've learned while buying my car, it's that dealers don't have a clue what they are talking about most of the time!

Am I right in thinking that Quattro models don't get the split level boot floor? Was in the showroom taking a look at their A3 8V Sportback TDI Quattro the other day and the book floor is fixed at the higher level due to the Quattro running gear.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Ah, that's true - I don't think you can lower it with a quattro

Oh ******, if i'd have known I couldn't move the boot floor a few cm up and down I wouldn't have ordered a quattro! Silly me :aggressive:

I thought I was cracking up!!! Mines the quattro, so at least I know now.

I thought I was cracking up!!! Mines the quattro, so at least I know now.

Ahhhh that makes sense! Because the room is needed for the rear diff!
If it makes you feel any better I haven't needed to lower the floor at any point yet (except for trying it) the boot is a good size anyway, and for big stuff I have just dropped the seats and you get that nice flat floor :)