1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi AO tyres whats the difference?

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Hendo, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Hendo

Hendo Member

I'm looking to buy a new set of tyres off camskill I was going to go for PS3's but I notice they do CONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 2 225/40R18 92Y XL (AO) FR TL (Audi) as well as ONTINENTAL SPORT CONTACT 5's.

What I wanted to know is whats the difference between the normal contact 2's and the AO Audi ones and if the Contact 5's would be a better choice?

Richard
  2. Sheikh

Sheikh Member

SC2's are not meant to be that good, SC5's on the other hand are meant to be the nuts! As for the AO i have no clue.
  3. cloughy

cloughy Member

stands for Audi only, I have SC3's which are very good and the quietest tyre I've owned, all mine have MO on them (Mercedes only) not sure whether there is any difference between them all
  4. Hendo

Hendo Member

I'm sure its something like its been designed with Audi for the best tyre.
  5. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

is it something that they came on from the factory sort of thing , I've got no idea either lol
  6. Dandle

Dandle Member

Its to do with the tyre manufacturers producing tyres marked for the brands they fit on as OEM tyres, they do massive deals with car manufacturers to get their tyres on cars and when the deals are agreed they will produce x amount of tyres marked with the manufacturers designation. Most will go to the manufacturer but part of the deal is x amount will made available to the public to buy as replacements. Continental say that the first three sets of tyres on alot of cars will be what they came with from the factory as the owner will want to keep it original. After that the car starts getting to an age where price becomes more of an issue for the tyre purchaser and depending on the owner (if they are even the original buyer at that point) the tyre brand and model starts to become a non issue over price.

Car manufacturers have lots of different idents for OEM tyres, AO is Audi Option, MO Mercedes Option, a Star on the side wall is BMW, N0 N1 and N2 is Porsche.

The tyres are the same the only difference is molds they come from though have the OEM designation, i.e. the SC3 with AO, MO or the star will all be built with the same construction and rubber just the mold has the emblem on it.
  7. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

ah makes sense now thanks mate
  8. LEW1S.W

LEW1S.W Member

Good answer dandle!
  9. crunchie

crunchie Member

My PS2's are all MO's. Its the only PS2's I could get. No difference that I can notice.
  10. box500

box500 Member

Dandle has it spot on. It's just a marketing / sales ploy. Someone called one of the tyre makers about MO spec tyres and they admitted straight away that 99.9% of OEM spec tyres are identical to none OEM. They said that on ultra high end cars they may make a slight change to the compound (e.g. on a SL63 AMG )
  11. RobinA3

RobinA3 Active Member

The code also means that there will be ever so slight design change on the tyre to suit the manufacturer. Mostly the design change is the side wall design. For example Honda S2000's use Bridgestone RE050 however they have to be the MZ coded ones as the side wall is much stiffer. It's very noticeable when you drive an S2000 with none MZ tyres.
  12. WAFTER

WAFTER Member

Agree 10/10 but 'mould' please not 'mold'! :yes:
  13. Dandle

Dandle Member

I can't comment on Bridgestone but Contis are certainly the same no slight differences at all. If they make a tyre specifically for the model it gets renamed like Sport Contact M3.

Good spot :)
  14. c_w

c_w Active Member

Porsche-spec N-rated tyres are definiely NOT the same as non-n-rated tyres off the same type, the sidewalls on them are very stiff and sometimes the difference is more than that, different rim protector/sidewall.
  15. 3DTDi

3DTDi Member

I have conti sport contact 5s and i have to say they are much grippier in the wet and dry than my previous PS3s also a bit quieter too, so looks like the reviews on them are bang on
  16. rezulteo

rezulteo Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

Hi,

First of all AO is the Audi Tyre marking. This means Audi worked with the tyre manufacturer to develop this tyres, and it has been designed with their vehicles in mind.

The Continental Sport Contact 5 is the newer version of the Continental Sport Contact 2. It would be best to take advantage of the newest most recent technology.
  17. Dandle

Dandle Member

It doesn't mean Audi worked with the tyre manufacturer at all. It means they both have done a deal for the tyre manufacturer to supply Audi OEM tyres.
  18. mjr901

mjr901 S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Bridgestones RE05A's good but noisy I find. Michelin's are the way to go I think. Very good in the wet I found.
  19. 964kevin

964kevin Member

^^^^^ This, having been shown the Michelin tyres and the differences I whole heartedly agree, They are NOT the same.

Kevin
  20. legin

legin Member

Conti 5 mo laughs at conti 2 ao. Really in a different league.
  21. Wicked666

Wicked666 Active Member

Sorry to resurrect but just wondering - if MO and AO are the same as non oem, why do they have different ratings?

here is MO v normal
    Mobile Photobucket

AO shows 'F' for fuel and 'B' for wet weather.

Ok this basis it seems normal would be the better buy but not sure
  22. percymon

percymon Member

The Porsche N0,N1,N2 tyres are very different to the normal versions - different compounds, different construction and hence different characteristics.

How different Audi and Mercedes 'specific' items are is debatable, but given the different ratings then I'd suspect the compund is different. Externally without the AO/MO markings you'll not visually see anything - perhaps the treadwear rating is different, but tread designa nd general sidewall design will be identical.

At least with the EU tyre ratings, you can see what the differences are, rather than just plumping for the cheapest version of a specific tyre because its the best in test, or recommended. That of course assumes all similar tyres were tested on the same rims on the same car (wheel weight will affect economy, and my Golf Mk 6 17" alloys were stoooopidly heavy).