1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audi air con compressor

Discussion in 'Air Conditioning' started by dualmono21, Sep 26, 2013.

1. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

[Sep 26, 2013]
    can anyone who is clued up about air conditioning on cars please be able to help me with information

how fast does the average air con pump spin at ???
    is it possible to drive one off a 12 volt motor instead of off the engine directly ??? a lot of the more modern french cars now use electric air con as standard

if so does the pump and compressor have to spin at a certain speed to move the fluid round to get the cooling effect ???
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

[Sep 27, 2013]
    Hi I am a refrigeration & air con engineer is possible to run a compressor electrically however you would likely have retain the clutch as the high torque required to start the compressor would draw a high current on battery's

also minimum speed is not to critical as many commercial compressors are are inverter driven especially in air conditioning for capacity control and energy efficiency although the faster they run the higher the capacity .

belt driven automotive compressors use a modulating valve to regulate compressor capacity based on suction pressure.

a compressor compresses vapour from the suction to a high pressure gas known as discharge it is then cooled from a hot gas condensing it to a liquid for your expansion device of any type be it a valve or capillary .

hope this helps
  4. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

[Sep 29, 2013]
  5. dualmono21

dualmono21 Well-Known Member

[Sep 30, 2013]
    the reason i ask is i would like to convert my air con from shaft driven (s4 v8 )to electrically driven

so basically as long as i can find a motor which has enough torque to turn the compressor on the input shaft then i should get cold air con
    the only other problem i have is its that tight a space down there i need to put the motor and shaft through a ninety degree gearbox
  6. Chillout

Chillout Active Member

[Oct 1, 2013]
    Why do you want to drive it electrically ? As any electrical load will increase the load on the alternator and In turn the load on your engine to turn it ,it's probably not much different

you will only loose a few bhp to run your a/c that I would think would go un noticed on your lump.