1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A6 2.8 V6 Quattro Avant 1999 - Air Conditioning Evaporator

Discussion in 'A6/S6/Allroad forum (C5 Chassis)' started by alex100a, Jun 1, 2010.

1. alex100a

alex100a New Member

Audi A6 2.8 V6 Quattro Avant 1999 - Air Conditioning Evaporator

I tried to get my air con re-gased last week only to be told that there is a leak from the evaporator inside the cabin and that I need a new one.

After some research (Elswin manual) and having a dig around it would appear the whole dashboard has to come out. When I say whole dashboard that means everything... steering wheel, radio, glove box, centre console the list goes on! Probably at least a days labour.

Anyone got any smart ideas? I can’t afford or justify spending a fortune on the car and don’t have the time to do the job myself (2 young kids and a wife with slipped discs!).

Has anyone used any leak sealants with any success?? Is it worth a £50 gamble??

Am I stuck with the old school method of windows down?

Alex
  2. SiliconS

SiliconS Member

Same problem on mine. Same conclusion: £1500 bill or arm-out-of-the-window time.

We're about to buy a brand new A6 instead. :(
  3. alex100a

alex100a New Member

Managed to get an evaporator from a Hella importer near Oxford, which cost £200 (£70 less than Audi Reading) then changed it myself. Was an absolute bitch of a job an probably took me nearly 9 hours. Audi seem to have a good nack of making simple jobs very very hard!!

Just waiting to get it recharged in the morning so fingers crossed i'll be ice cold by lunch time!!

Enjoy the new car SiliconS.

Alex
  4. SiliconS

SiliconS Member

Well done - I'm impressed. I considered doing it myself to save all that labour, but I just don't have the time. I wish I did. My dad had to do the same on his own A6 and he said the same as you - it's a tedious job.

I just can't justify the outlay on a car that's worth £3k. :(