Audi A5 Sportsback Black Edition Sports Mode

Az79

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an Audi A5 for a while now. This is an Audi A5 2.0 TDI 177bhp, black edition sportsback.

I have no button in the console to switch the different types of gear box mode, with this I mean between the sports mode or the standard mode. The funny thing is that it is now the third time that my A5 decides to change from the normal mode to a Sportsmode!!

The only way I see this changing is that in my dashboard I see the normal "D" for Drive change to a "S1, S2, etc...". This means that the Audi goes to a higher Revs and is a bit more sports mode.

My question is that I don't know how this is switched on/off! Does anyone know how this is happening?

Thanks

My first thought is maybe it reacts to your driving style. If there is no drive select button to adjust the characteristics of the car it must be interpreting the driving characteristics and changing it itself.

I'm assuming its S-Tronic, so if it is, does moving the gearshift left to right in D mode make any difference?

Other than that is there a setting in the MMI under 'Car' that allows you to make any adjustment?

It will change via the gear selector by pulling it back while in D.

Reactions: AdamZA, Shrek5 and warren_S5
Hi guys,

Thanks for your feedback.

@Warren_S5 - its definitely a S-Tronic and if I move the Shift left it will move from "D" to "M1, M2,...". In the MMI there is now way to change it also, I've searched for it.
There were some occasion that I thought it had to do with the style of driving... but there must be a way to switch it on/off.

@Daytona500 - I'm not sure I follow, sorry. What do I need to pull back?

Thanks

Unless there is a way to switch it off in VCDS then it's probably that way to extract performance and economy to hit emissions targets / C02 figs. Which setting would you want it on, sports or 'normal'

Hi, as Daytona says, it sounds like you are engaging the 'Sport' mode of the s-tronic gearbox. On newer models (please specify year of manufacturer... makes it easier for people ;) ) if, whilst the gearbox is in 'D' you tug the gear selector back towards you and release you will engage 'S' sport mode. If you tug it back again it should revert to 'D'.

Reactions: AdamZA and warren_S5
Exactly what Shrek says - to put another spin on the explanation, if you're in Park and you shift down to Drive, you'll be in D, now pull back on the lever again, towards the D and it will change to sport. When you're in sport, pull back on the lever again (towards D again) and you will go into drive instead of sport.

Hope this is all clear!

Reactions: Shrek5
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your input, it was exactly how you guys said it was.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: AdamZA and Shrek5