1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A4 Quattro 2.8i V6 5v

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by bhainart, Mar 17, 2010.

1. bhainart

bhainart New Member

I would like some advice regarding an engine running problem I have started noticing. When the engine is cold from start-up the car pulls normally and will accelerate with all the haste expected of a 2.8i Quattro. However, when the engine has fully warmed up after a few miles it will shudder and behave like it has lost power. The engine never stalls and will quickly get back to it's normal running state after a few seconds.

As well as the above I have noticed the smell of oil which is quite strong when the engine is hot and obviously there is a leak somewhere (possibly the head gasket?).

A local Audi/VW mechanic has suggested that it is the ignition leads (apparently a known issue with Audi/VW/Skoda) and suggested that changing them will sort the problem.

I have just had to spend over £500 within the past week replacing the ABS module and two new discs/pads etc for the MOT and I want to get any feedback from anyone who has a 2.8i and has had a similar problem before shelling out on HT leads to find that the problem has not gone away.

Any advice anyone. Thanks in advance.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User Audi A4 quattro

Leads or plugs breaking down when warm would be my guess from what you describe.

4. bhainart

bhainart New Member

Kind of confirms what the technician said which is good news as fairly cheap to put right. Thanks for that very much appreciated.