Audi A4 Help please

sainte986

Vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been looking on the forum for a few months after a friend recommended it, as I am looking at getting a new car later this year. I have narrowed down my search to what I think I want, but yet to test any cars.

I have seen this shape A4 and think it is much more atractive than the model that replaced it, well it appeals much more to me, as I think the newer model is a little too big/grown up.

Basically, I wanted to get some advise on the A4, I am looking at getting the very last models, ie facelift. Prepared to spend £6000, which is a very healthy budget, and could get me a nice B6, and I may also be tempted into one of those.

I have looked on here talking about the A3 8L shape, either 1.8t or 1.9tdi 130.

The engines that intrest me in this shape to be honest is:
1.9TDI 115bhp
1.8t 150bhp
a V6
2.5TDI 150bhp

More the top two. Or a nice V6, for the V6 roar sound :p

Does anyone who has one of the three engines, can you give me some insight to what they are like, im sure the V6 is going to be a thursty car, ie no more than 30mpg anywhere.
The A3 i know is a lighter car, and it does as im told well on fuel, ie mid 30s, with the 1.8t.
The two TDi's are prob going to not going to impress most people on here, however, the 2.5 does come in quattro, which I would like :D

But anyone to give me what they think, but to be honest the only one that interests me is the 1.8t saloon form, as I think its a sexy car.

Is it hard to find a 1.8t in facelift, as I can find it in the B6 shape, but less so in the B5?

Any advise welcome, even just to say Hi.:icon_thumright:

I have a 99 1.8t quattro sport facelift. I like it. took me 18 months to find it though!

the 2.5 diesel is a thirsty beast and for that money you may as well go petrol and get a newer 1.8t or look around for a nice S4.

get quatro in any car if at all possible, higher resale value, they tend to have higher level trim/bits and the road holding speaks for itself

What is it like on fuel? i noticed that looking at some figures the 2.5 gives you the same power as 1.8t 150bhp, and just slighty better on fuel, but only slighty.

Is yours the facelift?

jcb said:
I have a 99 1.8t quattro sport facelift. I like it. took me 18 months to find it though!

the 2.5 diesel is a thirsty beast and for that money you may as well go petrol and get a newer 1.8t or look around for a nice S4.

get quatro in any car if at all possible, higher resale value, they tend to have higher level trim/bits and the road holding speaks for itself

sainte986 said:
What is it like on fuel? i noticed that looking at some figures the 2.5 gives you the same power as 1.8t 150bhp, and just slighty better on fuel, but only slighty.

Is yours the facelift?

mine is a facelift,
1.8t is very good on fuel, does 30mpg sitting at 78mph (track)
drive like you stole it and it will return less than 20mpg.

Diesel torque is the selling point, midrange 4th gear acceleration will beat anything within reason, its the rest of the range that you may not like.
I have a 140ps 2.0l Mk5 golf which I love, different kind of power delivery but it is not slow by any means.

depends on your budget, your driving style, kind of journeys you are likely to make and whether you plan to modify it with a chip or exhaust etc

Definitely 1.8T.

Mine's a 1.8T and for a couple of hundreds more, I could've got a "T"....

Regret, I have a few... Well this is the biggest one !

i have a facelift 2000 V6 2.8 quattro,

on long motarway journey 32mpg in town 24mpg , more or less, ohh and i'ts tiptronic , manual might be a bit less thirsty, V6 sounds very nice.

I have just been looking on ebay at some, there is some very nice examples, but to get the facelift 1.8t quattro is hard to get on with less than 100k on the clock.
The quattro on these are full time, not part time like the a3?
I guess this will prevent wheelspin :(
I do like the extra power when I need it, but usually, I just cruise around at the speedlimit, in top gear. I drive mainly A roads and thru towns, not much start stop traffic for me

Mothy69 said:
the 2.8V6 is 193bhp & not 150bhp..

The comparison was made between the 2.5TDI V6, which DOES produce the same power as the regular 1.8T, 150PS.

sainte986 said:
The quattro on these are full time, not part time like the a3?
I guess this will prevent wheelspin :(

eerrrr no. mine is fairly stock 180bhp 1.8tqs and I have recently been enjoying the back end coming out when pulling away at junctions/roundabouts in a spirited manner without the extreme snap around you get from some 2wd rear wheel drive cars I could mention.

go for a 1.8t quattro, 2.5tdi's are for motorways, ive just gone from 1.8t fwd to 1.8t quattro, wish id saved more and bought the q in the first place, you will have a fair bit of change from 6k for mods!!!!