Audi A4 B7 57plate With XCarlink

vitorcosta

Reaction score
Hi , first post on this site of many,

i recently bought a 57 plate Audi A4 TDI TDV 2.0L Sline Auto

it comes with the RNS-E Headunit with bluetooth and Satnav , and the 6 cd changer in the glovebox and 2 SD ports.

but obviously no AUX or Ipod connections

im looking to bying the Xcarlink for the car but everyone ive spoken to about it says that i will have to LOOSE the 6 CD changer ...

is this true and if so why ?? and can this be avoided ?

the xcarlink site states that i will not loose the cd changer but my local garage who also fitted my rear parking sensors says that i will loose the cd changer and a few other shops say the same thing ..

im confused ..

plz shine some light

thanks

so how will i be able to alternate between cd changer and ipod ? any ideas ... have u got one installed ?

I used to, don't any more. But I do recall that the loom for the X-Carlink allowed the CD changer to stay in use.

Check out the text in red on here

Yes the xcarlink will work along side the cd changer. As stated above the wiring loom is wired in a way that you unplug the cd changer plug in the xcarlink and then plug the cd changer into the xcarlink loom. It's all plug and play.

To access the xcarlink you tap the cd button on the head unit and it toggles between the cd changer and xcarlink. It takes a few seconds to change over.

The rnse will take an aux in so you can take a 3.5mm jack from the iPod to the headunit but this is a "dumb" versition due to it not displaying any info on the headunit or dis. If you buy the correct xcarlink module you will be able to see the song info on the DIS

I had one fitted in my car before but now I have fitted the bluetooth unit and wired in the "dumb"aux port and it works fine for me :)

Gazthesparky is spot on - I fitted the XCarLink to my b6 cab last month, you definitely don't lose the 6cd changer. The head unit thinks the XCarLink is a cd changer, with a playlist being a "disc", so you can have 6 playlists that work.

you simply piggyback through the same connection, I managed to fit it and I know nothing about cars at all!!

the sound quality is perfect too. I can't see track names on the DIS, but I would think that's the B6 DIS rather than an issue with the XCarLink.

i would highly recommend it

Am I right in thinking you cannot change tracks/artists/albums via the headunti and steering controls using the x link?

You can change tracks and playlists via the head unit and steering wheel buttons - it thinks the XCarLink is a cdchanger, with a playlist being a cd. So you skip playlists by changing the "cd" and you skip tracks by normal forward or back buttons. It has better functionality than most of these type of systems (from what I've read of others).

it also charges when plugged in.

best £90 I've spent, I love it

just ask if you have any other questions, I'm happy to help if I can

Thanks for replying pbarlow0032 - Just one more question does it show any display info? Track name/playlist/album /artist

thanks a lot!

Hi Shahedz, mine is on a B6, and it doesn't show any track names, artist, albums etc. The reason I went for this system was that it allowed me to control it through the Head Unit. I don't know whether there is a difference between the DIS on the B6 and B7 (I presume there is as the B6 is monochrome, B7 is full colour?) which might mean you get all the info you need? It would be much better if it did this, without a doubt. The instrcutions which come with it are not great, and it doesn't mention any of this functionality.
Your best bet would be to ring up the place I ordered it from, who were really helpful when I spoke to them (Dynamic Sounds 020 8875 2525). I've no affiliation to them, they just seemed to know what they were talking about!

on the B7 it's a colour DIS if you have the RNS Sat Nav. Otherwise it's monochrome.

Thank you for the recommendation will give them a shout.

I used to, don't any more. But I do recall that the loom for the X-Carlink allowed the CD changer to stay in use.

Check out the text in red on here

I was gonna get it from here but they state that it cannot be used together
XCARLINK SKU919 Audi A3, A4, S3, S4, RS4 RNS-E iPod iPhone Interface Adaptor

These guys are fantastic they did my parking sensors and would love to have this added aswell but don't wanna loose the CD player

just sooo confusing some say u can like the manufacturer and some say u can't .. Like actual fitters .. ?? Lol

Vitorcosta, the confusion is because there are 2 types of stereo with 6 disc changer; the concert stereo which has a single CD slot in the head unit, and a separate changer in the glove box or the Symphony system which had the 6 disc changer actually in the head unit.

You can't use the XCarLink with the symphony but you can with the concert I.e. the one with the 6 disc changer out of the head unit. If you read the text on the website linked, it specifically says not suitable for use with the 6 disc changer in the dash.

vitor costa, which head unit do you have?

Vitorcosta, the confusion is because there are 2 types of stereo with 6 disc changer; the concert stereo which has a single CD slot in the head unit, and a separate changer in the glove box or the Symphony system which had the 6 disc changer actually in the head unit.

You can't use the XCarLink with the symphony but you can with the concert I.e. the one with the 6 disc changer out of the head unit. If you read the text on the website linked, it specifically says not suitable for use with the 6 disc changer in the dash.

vitor costa, which head unit do you have?

My head unit has a built in DVD drive for the sat nav behind the fold down screen and then a seperate 6 cd changer in the glove box

i don't mind where I order it from asking as it is guaranteed to work alongside the seperate 6 cd changer

Almost certain that it will work, sounds like you have the rns-e satnav. Ring them and check, but I'm sure it does work.
the reason it doesn't work with symphony is that it just thinks the xcarlink is a 6 disc changer, but the symphony wouldn't need a 6 disc changer fitted as it is in-built. Ring the company I linked earlier, certain they'll say the same as me

If you get the xcarlink, i'll fit it for you. I have same set up as you and mine works perfectly