Audi A4 B7 2.0tdi (170) turbo whistling/whining turbo stutter and occasional boost loss

Chriswf44nh

Reaction score
Hi, just looking for some advice on this ongoing issue with the Audi. I've had the car a year and in this time I've had a few problems with it, it started off as DPF light and also underboost appearing and limp mode, after persuading the garage to fit a new turbo under warranty, he did so, well he fitted a reconditioned turbo. After this I have always had turbo whistling, usually confuses people into thinking there's a police car coming up behind us. The underboost light then seemed to fix itself but then the dpf appeared again and the car died so I had the dpf removed and generic remap. The whistling is still present and with the removal of the dpf you can hear the turbo dumping the pressure on the gear changes. Some days the car runs perfectly. Some days, especially if I've been on a short run, turned it off then back on these problems start to appear with the boost, it doesn't bring up any fault codes but sometimes I have no boost at all then sometimes I get some boost or it comes as a lump or it will stutter when I put my foot down, other days it will feel "wavy" like the boost pressure is slowly increasing and decreasing as I have my foot down.
The car has had a full service inc air, fuel and oil filter, the EGR valve has been cleaned along with inlet manifold and anti shudder valve. When the car was remapped it had the EGR delete also.
I keep looking at threads and it seems to be pointing towards EGR replacement and possibly injector replacement.
Has anybody had anything similar and managed to solve the problem?
Thanks in advance.