Audi a4 3.0tdi Dual Mass flywheel or convert to Single Mass

Rosco14

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a 3.0tdi and the clutch has started slipping plus i am getting a rattle from the centre of the car which i think is my dual mass starting to go.

I am not sure whether to buy another dual mass flywheel or convert to a single mass flywheel?
- i have seen a lot of forums saying the single mass is better however i am not sure as the 3.0tdi is based round the dual mass due to the higher torque

My car has been remapped to 270hp so would i also need a performance clutch or would a 'new' original clutch be ok?

I am looking for a strong clutch and flywheel to last a long time

cheers

Hi Rosco,

So pretty sure the 2.7TDi box and the 3l Box is the same as we share the same part numbers for the clutch and fly...

I had to upgrade mine to a singlemass and stage 2 clutch. There aren't that many sensible options out there due to the torque these cars put out i'm at about 450ftlbs (rolling roaded) and ALL companies I talked to said I HAD to go for a paddle clutch, which simply is not an option or something you want to consider as can't drive with one of these day to day.

So after much hunting and A LOT of calls and emails I finally found a viable, sensible STRONG option that has been perfect since I put it in. It uses a Stage 3 RS4 Single Mass Fly wheel, Stage 3 super clamp from an RS4 kit, BUT uses a sintered, reinforced stage 2 organic clutch/friction plate. The pedal is only 20% heavier but after a day I don't even notice it. There is very slight 'clatter' at idle but if the radio is more than volume 5 you can't here it... I replaced my gearbox oil with upgraded red line stuff which killed the noise and made the shifting perfect. Once on the move you would have no idea it's even there. NO slip at all (my old OEM clutch burnt out a month after the remap haha)

Here are some photo's and the links to my TDi thread with detail in it + A link to the sachs performance website where the sale item is (be sure to tick super clamp $95 option)... it's a bit pricey but I'd always rather do things once and do it right. By Pricey I mean you're looking at £1,500 for parts and if you can install yourself then all good but otherwise + cost of installation.

TDi Forum Thread

Sachs Performance item that I got

My Thread for the photos of installing it and comparing to OEM

DSCN1799_zps3f43cd8f.jpg

DSCN1800_zpsd3b8dbab.jpg

Hi Golfedd,

Thats the same as my clutch, had the car remapped about a month ago and it has started to slip, would i not get away with just getting the stronger clutch kit above and a new original dual mass flywheel? - i have read that a single mass flywheel conversion kit could crack the bell housing or cause more stress on the crank due to vibration

cheers for the link!

I looked at a simple clutch upgrade and no one seemed to offered an uprated solution but a paddle clutch. There was one company who said they could supply a better organic plate but with the torque it wouldn't last long at all. And taking 4/6 hours to swap the B7 clutches I didn't want to be doing it twice.

The other issue is the clamping/pressure plate simply isn't good enough which is why the friction surface on mine has so many burn and slip marks on it.

I did a fluid swap again in January and my bell housing is all ok. Never heard of that side effect from SMFW. The engine has never missed a beat or lost power or suffered in anyway so can't say I've had any drawbacks.
A new OEM one will hold and a stage one upgrade if you can find one will also hold. The question is for how long. Especially with your Quattro adding to the pressure put through the clutch set up

May be a good idea calling/emailing Darkside to enquire about SRE clutches, would imagine they should be able to get what your after at a decent price plus this will avoid possible import charges.

As above a Sachs organic clutch will probably do what you want. And I would try and stick with a dual mass flywheel. They are fitted for good reasons and are one of the reasons modern diesels are so good to drive compared to times gone by.
The dual mass isolates a lot of the vibration and harness from the engine as well as improving gear changes. It's not usually the limiting factor, its the torque capability of the clutch, thats down to the material and design of the clutch facings.
A paddle clutch is great for the track but not really what you want on a road car thats used day to day, especially if you drive in town a lot.

Thanks!, think that is my best option, i was a bit unsure on the reliability of the dual mass however the car has done 80k on the original so think i will stick with the dual mass flywheel and buy Sachs Organic clutch kit for the extra power and torque