1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audi A4 2.6SE V6 Avant 1997

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by jeansboy, Jan 25, 2009.

1. jeansboy

jeansboy New Member

Hi all,

New to the forum but need some advice.

I've just bought an Audi A4 2.6SE V6 Avant which needs a new clutch but runs lovely. My question is this - does she have a cam belt or chain? it was last changed 50,000 miles ago and has done 220,000 miles in total but no smoke, rattles etc (paid £275 so really chuffed at the moments - she looks great and the engine sounds lovely!) Going to get the oil / filter changed etc but am just concerned about the cam belt / chain whatever it has.

Any advice welcome and most appreciated!

Cheers

Michael

:redrs4:
  2. Siena

Siena Active Member

Welcome aboard!

The V2 12 / 30V engines all run belts.
    50,000 miles ago replaced, so still within it's replacement time frame.
    If in doubt though, and for your own peace of mind, I'd get it replaced, as well as water pump and tensioner / idler.

The water pump on the V6 has been known to have the bearing either collapse, or the shaft seize, tearing the belt off.

As for the clutch - is it slipping, or merely biting high?
    I only ask because the B5 clutch has always been a source of worry to new owners, coming from a different make of automobile.

The clutch does have a high-ish bite, even with a new clutch fitted.
  3. jeansboy

jeansboy New Member

Hi,

Thanks for info, as for the clutch, its had it!, the car will go(only if seriously needed to) and change gear but when engaging/disengaging clutch there is a grating rotatioinal noise. New one going in this week so fingers crossed all is ok. This car was owned by a car fanatic but he left it go when he bought a Skyline, he's spent a fortune on it but its been standing for a while now.

Cheers

Geoff
  4. Siena

Siena Active Member

If it's got to that point, clutch-wise, it's very likely you'll also need a new flywheel!

Your car's running a dual-mass item, and they don't take kindly to being overheated due to a slipping clutch - the rubber blocks that seperate the 2 sections harden, then break up.