1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AUDI A4 2.6 SE V6 NOISY TAPPETS PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by belabed, Feb 13, 2006.

1. belabed

belabed New Member

[Feb 13, 2006]
    Hi there, i'm new to the forum and looking for some help.

My car is sounding like a 30 year old diesel london taxi, very loud hydraulic lifter/tappets ticking.

I've taken off the cam cover on the noisy side so can now see the camshaft and the 6 lifters. It appears to be very dry of oil and very little oil seems to be coming through the lifters, is it possible that theirs an oil pressure problem stopping the oil getting to the camshaft area? I can run the car with the cover off and all i can see is a few specs off oil coming through the lifters but not very much at all.

I noticed there are two very small bolts in the wall and side inside the cam cover that appear to be small inlet valves, no oil is coming through these, sorry don't know they're exact name but i took them out and blew some air through them but still no oil. Is oil meant to come through them?

None of the lifters appear to be damaged but judging by the noise it must be at least two of them gone, this leads on to my next problem; to get to them i'll have to take off the cam shaft, can i do this without taking off the timing belt?

I'll change out all six once i can get to them but if the timing belt needs taking off it'll be a garage job as it's beyond my capability, any ideas how much this would cost?

I've already done an engine flush and put in new oil; ive also tried Wynns valve treatment and Forte top end treatment, none made any difference. The engine does have a lot of white emulsion built up inside of it, would another flush help? I don't do a lot of mileage so this may have added to the problem(loads of small journey's).

Sorry for the length of the post but cash is tight thus avoiding an expensive garage trip is a priority, i'm in Aberdeen if anyone fancies a homer btw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tia for any help.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 16, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 14, 2006]
    Do not run it any more, it sounds like you either have a blockage, or your oil pump has gone. Oil should fly from the cams when its running, hence why the top is dry
  4. Rixio

Rixio Member

[Feb 14, 2006]
    Just out of interest roughly how much are oil pumps to replace?
  5. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 14, 2006]
  6. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Feb 14, 2006]
    Andy, he has already tried that mate, didnt make any difference. I think the OP is in the sump isnt it??
    Someone correct me?
  7. imported_VaulterTim

imported_VaulterTim Guest

[Feb 14, 2006]
    It is in the sump yes... bolted to the bottom of the engine block and driven by a chain.

Does the car smoke a lot? Is there any indication of oil level on the dipstick? White emulsion build up could possibly mean your head gasket has gone... just a few thoughts.
  8. AndyC

AndyC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 14, 2006]
    doh... missed that one!!!!
  9. belabed

belabed New Member

[Feb 14, 2006]
    Thanks for the replies chaps.

Poured 2 bottles of engine flush directly into the right hand block today, it did stop the noise temporarily after running it for 15 mnutes but it did return when i started it cold later on. The oil coming through the lifters onto the camshaft also increased when it was being flushed which makes me think it's pretty gunked up behind the lifters. Still don't know what the little bolt/valve beside the camshaft is but n oil came through it.

Still not sure about the oil pressure but it's heading to a garage anyway if it doesn't improve tomorrow once it gets fresh oil, i've also got a bottle of Wynns valve treatment to hopefully help any sticky one's.

Is the oil pump hard to change out?

I don't think the head gasket's gone, think the build up of gunk is down to my low daily mileage; i'll have to start taking it out for a weekly blast.

To answer an earlier question the car doesn't smoke anymore than it used to and doesn't appear to be burning any oil, dipstick reading is normal.

Thanks again for replying.