Audi A4 2.0 tdi 140 Turbo/engine light issue

Leigh1984

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to this so I am sorry if I have put this in the wrong area.

I have a 2006 audi A4 2.0 TDI 140 S Line, driving to work this morning the Turbo decided to not work after 10 mins so I turned the engine off and re-started went fine for 10 mins then the engine management light came on and no turbo I have had this car less than 6 months, absolutely love this car but I am unsure what the issue is, no white smoke coming out the back end so I know the Turbo hasn't gone (Previous experience on a Mazda 6 Turbo blew) what could it be??

Much appriciated if you can help me its booked in on Monday I would like to pre empt hat the issue is before hand :)

So does it rev above 2-3k revs when it seems to not be working very well, as in limp mode?

Yes the car goes over 3k revs

But turbo won't kick in, once I switch the engine off then on after 2 mins all working for 5 mins then down again but engine light on all the time

sounds like its going into limp
when u turn off and on it resets and then goes back into limp
no way could anyone on here tell you whats up you need it scanning for fault codes
then we can help.

Well could be sticking turbo vnt mechanism, I would be very careful cause if it is this, it could blow & leave a rather big mess along with big bill, you need to log the boost levels & tbh check the turbo directly to see if the mechanisms are moving freely.

I am about 10 mins away from my house but have to hit a motor way for about 5 mins should I drive home or not?

yeah drive it take it easy tho

same as mine was mate recon turbo now spot on

So I drove home turbo was on and off like a yo yo, I pulled in at home and the turbo whistled perfectly but were the intercooler is it made an inter mittant mumbling noise. I have been told by my breakdown its a blockage but he wasn't 100% sure!! Its so annoying

I found out the issue its the EGR valve I am being told this is a very common issue with the A4, but I have another question I have it booked in to either have it cleaned or buy a brand new one tomorrow morning so if possible could I have some advice on what to do?

Thanks