audi a4 130 quattro sport

quinndog

Reaction score
:idea:Anybody got any ideas about poor starting & rough idling? Power is ok . also poor fuel consumption -Had new clutch & cam - just the same. Running out of ideas & get cheeses off - Thanks Quinndog.:sadlike:

What year is this car? so we can move it to the correct part of the forum.

You need to get the car scanned to get some isea whats up as it could be anything.

Sparkplugs
coolent sensor
vaccume leak...... etc...... etc.......

you could try disconnecting the maf, if it idles better then you can say its up the swanny. other than that a fault scan is the way to go

Thanks, had a fault scan done at main dealers - nothing showed up! - will try disconnecting the maf

Thanks -had it scanned at main dealers - nothing showed up !

142,000 MILES - thought about them - do you know how to find a faulty one ?

Have you tried putting some decent injector cleaner through to see if that improves things at all?

You need to get the car scanned to get some isea whats up as it could be anything.

Sparkplugs
coolent sensor
vaccume leak...... etc...... etc.......

If it's a "audi a4 130 quattro sport ", then it's TDI, so I'm guessing not the plugs ;)

My 130 TDi had similar problems when I bought it although not the rough idling. When I scanned it it also had no fault codes for the engine.

I changed the MAF anyway as I know they get worse with age and with the new one fitted I got loads more response and a bit more power but no real change to mpg.

Next was the coolant temp sensor which made no difference at all.

After that I changed the thermostat as over the winter it was really struggling to get to and hold at 90 degrees. Doing that instantly gave me about 5mpg increase and the car warms up within 5-10 mins of driving now.

Still never solved the occasional longer cranking times when starting though. Main thing I guess though is it always starts!!