Audi A4 1.8T manual Transmission Fist gear noise

nemohawk

Reaction score
I have just purchased a UK Audi A4 2006 1.8T with a 5 speed manual transmission and it has a noise while accelerating in first gear. It doesn't happen in any other gear. Its sort of a whirring noise which gets louder and faster as you accelerate but only in 1st gear. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem before, and if so what it was ?

would you say it sounds similar to using Reverse Gear? would say that it would be the syncros on first gear, but that would just crunch when selecting first, so with your car it sounds that could possibly be the 1st gear, gear cog on the input/output shaft is knackered,
however i could be miles off!

would you say it sounds similar to using Reverse Gear? would say that it would be the syncros on first gear, but that would just crunch when selecting first, so with your car it sounds that could possibly be the 1st gear, gear cog on the input/output shaft is knackered,
however i could be miles off!
It turned out to be the case hardening on the shaft has worn away. Had to get a new gearbox, got reconditioned one for £875 + vat + labour stinger !!! Hopefully getting money from dealer to pay for repairs as only had car a couple days when I noticed the noise.