Audi A4 1.8t (8E) engine swap with TT Engine

J7USS

Shuddup Foooool!!
Reaction score
:sos: ...Well where do I start...

Firstly Im pretty New to the Audi Scene and the Forum and hoping you can shed some light on my situation..

Basically Ive owned my Audi 1.8t Quattro (8E) for nearly 4 weeks now, When I picked it up from the private seller I was travelling home sitting at the 80 mark when all a sudden the OIL indicator flashed (stop engine, check oil level), so doing so I did and checked oil level- Fine, Right on the max level, hmmm:search: strange, so I started the engine back up and the Indicator went off, Everything OK.
Reaching home I double checked, Yes all fine...

3 weeks later, driving home from Newcastle... Beep, the oil indicator flashed up again, Pulled over, checked, Fine. Started the engine back up and heard a Tapping in the engine:( , dissapeared after a minute or so, so I thought Id take a slower drive home with still 150 miles to go.
Car was driving 100%, No power loss, Nothing. Still taking it easy as I was approaching the Junction then all a sudden the Tapping returned, this time louder and getting louder, I swiftly steer onto the hardshoulder and must of been down to 40 mph when it started frog hopping then a Loud Bang, loads of smoke flew out and engine Died as we came to a halt:uhm: , I jumped out (being careful of course) and lifted the bonnet fighting through the last of the Smoke then it dawned on me as the oil started to run out from underneath the front end...OUCH:sob: - The Bottom End has gone. AA recovered me and now its sitting sadly on my Drive....

Now then I need serious Advice in what to do next...

I want to ring the guy who I bought it from and ask him straight out was he aware of any indicators flashing for the Oil before but Its down to the sold as seen thing and maybe my stupidness for not getting it checked out in the first place.

Ive already located a Salvage 2001 AUDI TT 1.8t 225 Bhp with engine and Gearbox, Wire loom, ECU ect, basically everything BUT need to know is it a straight swap???????

Im hoping to god it is, I need it sorted ASAP.

Im welcoming any advice from you more experienced out there...

a Thanks in advance for reading my Long Post.
Cheers

i am guessing oil pumped failed, i had this problem a few months back!

a common porblem in the audi, wot sort of miles is on the car?

in regards to the engine swap, anything is straight forward, dependant on who u know can do the swap, and money to invest in it.

best bet is to email a few of the bigger companies and see wot they say, see if there is a general typical answer!

Yes thats what I assumed that the Oil Pump failed me.
It hasnt put me off the Audi yet though.

The milage is just tipped over the 100k mark with full Audi (Longlife) Service History.

I have a decent Mechanic to do the transplant but like you say, Ill be checking with other companies first to make sure.

Reactions: Starwolf
the engine tranplant is the easy bit, as the size etc will all be the same, its the wiring and fuel pumps etc that will be the hassle bit.

were are u located?

Someone has told me that my engine aint facing the same way as a TT engine but I thought being mine is a Quattro then it has to be the same way for the Prop Shaft, Am I right??

All still a little new to me all this!!

You say the wiring and Pumps will be the hassle, is that meaning some modification to the engine bay??? and the Wiring, would that mean extra wires or ??:think:

Im located in Leicester!! Know a good mechanic!!!!???!!!!

What happened to yours by the way, Did it wreck your engine or didnt you let it get as far as that???

Whats the Most likely damage to my engine then, going on what Ive explained??

loafy said:
i am guessing oil pumped failed, i had this problem a few months back!

a common porblem in the audi, wot sort of miles is on the car?

in regards to the engine swap, anything is straight forward, dependant on who u know can do the swap, and money to invest in it.

best bet is to email a few of the bigger companies and see wot they say, see if there is a general typical answer!

J7USS said:
Someone has told me that my engine aint facing the same way as a TT engine but I thought being mine is a Quattro then it has to be the same way for the Prop Shaft, Am I right??

All still a little new to me all this!!

You say the wiring and Pumps will be the hassle, is that meaning some modification to the engine bay??? and the Wiring, would that mean extra wires or ??:think:

Im located in Leicester!! Know a good mechanic!!!!???!!!!

I'd be very careful about buying the TT engine. The TT has a transverse engine and uses the Haldex system for Quattor while your A4 has a longitudinal engine and Torsen. I'd think that the engine mounts may be in different places on the two engines. Just because they're both 1.8T doesn't mean they're the same.

ah ok, thanks for that Info, Like I said im still new to this.

Im trying to Source a AVJ Engine at the Min, Ill be purchasing a K4 turbo as apposed to the K3 originally used. Its just the Engine I need to Find, Any Suggestions??

..........usually the big issue when going from a transverse to longitudinal engine is the turbo/exhaust and inlet plumbing etc.
Guess fuelling will also be an issue as the locations of inlet and exhaust will be in different places....