Audi A4 1.4 TFSI.. interesting read

Syed Shah

Cars are a mans best friend, then dogs..
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So anyone who's like me and wants a bit of a real life insight to how the 1.4 TFSI Audi A4 is, I've popped a quick link below that may be of some interest for you guys..

https://www.motoringresearch.com/ca...s/audi-a4-1-4-tfsi-150-2016-long-term-review/

Even still, once I have a bit of a feel of my A4 1.4 Tfsi that i collect this coming Wednesday, I will be sure to give you guys my insight on it also.. mine is the S-tronic opposed to the manual :)

enjoy!

Reactions: SimonAshley, Rocksteve69 and Muzzito
Look forward to hearing what you think of it. My 1.4tfsi manual S-Line is coming at the end of January. Was tempted by the S-Tronic but need to keep my budget down. Most of the reviews of the 1.4 seem to be overseas ones with the S-Tronic. I did read that long term review and it's encouraging. I'm slightly sceptical of the real world merits of such a small engine but the lease rate was very encouraging!

Reactions: Syed Shah
Look forward to hearing what you think of it. My 1.4tfsi manual S-Line is coming at the end of January. Was tempted by the S-Tronic but need to keep my budget down. Most of the reviews of the 1.4 seem to be overseas ones with the S-Tronic. I did read that long term review and it's encouraging. I'm slightly sceptical of the real world merits of such a small engine but the lease rate was very encouraging!

What was your lease deal if you dont mind me asking? I got the S-tronic as ive heard a lot of good about it and just felt it was a bit more fitting for the long distance driving i do. And the reason why i wanted to put up a review is because most of the reviews online on youtube are foreign.. also like you ive been a little sceptical and wish i had taken up a s4 offer instead.. situation at the time left we with no real choice but oh well!

There’s a few real life reviews of the 1.4 manual on pistonheads that I’ve read.

Syed Shah, my deal was a 1.4tfsi manual S-Line for 24 months with 12 upfront at £167.15 incl. VAT/mth for 10k p.a. Total was £6,048.25 with no options apart from Hill Assist.

Syed Shah, my deal was a 1.4tfsi manual S-Line for 24 months with 12 upfront at £167.15 incl. VAT/mth for 10k p.a. Total was £6,048.25 with no options apart from Hill Assist.

Thats not bad.. makes my deal look a lot more expensive! Mine was £1500 upfront and £263 a month but i have technology pack (came standard with the offer) auto, reverse camera, hill hold assist and the other 18inch alloys.. (couldnt deal with the std ones ) all in £7500 or there abouts.. mine is 10k pa also

Syed Shah, you've got a lot more nice toys on your car and life is short. Let's hope we both like the engine!

Thank you! I collect mine on wednesday so i only have a few more days left.. i think im starting to get excited haha cant wait for new car smell again... hopefully this engine is as expected :)

Reactions: AlnSaz
Yes good review although that made me laugh : "The fact you feel like a success story every time you sit behind the wheel ..."

It's a ****** car, not a private jet :blink:

Reactions: happytalk73 and Syed Shah
Yes good review although that made me laugh : "The fact you feel like a success story every time you sit behind the wheel ..."

Hahaha. Clearly our versions of what a success story is varies quite a bit hahaha

I still see nowhere near those MPG figures.

Easy 50s on the motorway? I wish. Best I've ever had is low 40s on a pretty constant 60-70mph stretch of the M25.

And town driving is 30 if I'm lucky (and I'm usually not). I've never seen 35 in town.

I'm s-tronic not manual, but the s-tronic tends to change a lot earlier and therefore keep the revs a lower than I probably would in a manual.

Easy 50s on the motorway? I wish. Best I've ever had is low 40s on a pretty constant 60-70mph stretch of the M25.

And town driving is 30 if I'm lucky (and I'm usually not). I've never seen 35 in town.

I'm s-tronic not manual, but the s-tronic tends to change a lot earlier and therefore keep the revs a lower than I probably would in a manual.

Hmm.. How many miles have you done?

Not many yet to be fair - just over 1k. Hoping it'll improve as a) It wears in and b) the weather improves!

I think it may be down to that.. while the engine beds in the MPG may not be what you expect. Hopefully it should improve once the engine fully beds in.. but either way, enjoy!

I think it may be down to that.. while the engine beds in the MPG may not be what you expect. Hopefully it should improve once the engine fully beds in.. but either way, enjoy!

Definitely enjoying. Mpg aside, it's a great engine. Never short on power (S4 owners may disagree!) and whisper-quiet.

I own a 1.4 tfsi A4 B9 black saloon, in manual and absolutely loving it (900 miles so far). I have installed a DTUK piggy back on it and it is definitely not a slow car. Whilst buying this car, I was considering a used S4 B9 (I have a history of enthusiast cars) but given that my daily commute to work is around 1 mile, I don't need 350bhp. The kind of MPG i'm getting is around 29-30 mpg - but again this is because I am using it for a short commute and using all the toys (heating, heated seats etc) to full advantage.

I think if it had been listed as a sline version I would have considered it, but it wasn't earlier on in the life of the A4. Had I purchased one I possibly could have used the dtuk box I had for my a3 1.4...

I own a 1.4 tfsi A4 B9 black saloon, in manual and absolutely loving it (900 miles so far). I have installed a DTUK piggy back on it and it is definitely not a slow car. Whilst buying this car, I was considering a used S4 B9 (I have a history of enthusiast cars) but given that my daily commute to work is around 1 mile, I don't need 350bhp. The kind of MPG i'm getting is around 29-30 mpg - but again this is because I am using it for a short commute and using all the toys (heating, heated seats etc) to full advantage.
What difference have you noticed with the DTUK? I’ve been toying with the idea of something like that.

given that my daily commute to work is around 1 mile

I assume this is typo as 1 mile would be a walk or a bike ride, not a commute :wink:

I am surprised you get any heat from the seat !

Reactions: happytalk73
Yeah one mile hardly warrants a S4, by the time things got interesting it would be time to slam on the brakes ;-)

Reactions: happytalk73
I assume this is typo as 1 mile would be a walk or a bike ride, not a commute :wink:

I am surprised you get any heat from the seat !
Some people are just lazy...:D

My wife for example used to drive to work. And she worked literally 500 meters from home... no I’m not joking.

Reactions: V6_Man and Nickfrog

That was my favourite local car news site in Aus. Their review of the A4 was one of the reasons I looked at an A4 in the first place. They have always sung the praises of Audi interiors anyway but I guess they were also pressing the point home considering it is the entry level car. The 1.4 is probably a harder sell there as the locally made entry level offerings from Holden and Ford came with a 3 litre 6 cylinder (Holden) or 4 litre 6 cylinder (Ford) and cost a lot less - although the Ford Falcon did get a 2 litre before they closed the factory but it was never a big seller.

I think Audi know that there is still some importance placed on engine size by car buyers even though the power outputs and refinement of these smaller displacement engines are a match for the larger engines from the previous generation car and I guess that is why they are starting to differentiate by power rather than engine size with the new 25 to 55 badges.

I think you'll find that Audi have been using the 'new' power ratings in other countries for some time, india for one. Also Audi are just bringing themselves in to line with other manufacturers such as, cough, bmw..

I think you'll find that Audi have been using the 'new' power ratings in other countries for some time, india for one. Also Audi are just bringing themselves in to line with other manufacturers such as, cough, bmw..

OK, will be new for here. Saw it for the first time in Hong Kong earlier this year and thought someone was trying to make it look like their A4 had a 4 litre engine until I saw a few more of them with a 40 or 45 on the back.

Reactions: cuke2u

1.4 S-Stronic Avant here - 3.5k on the clock, 44mpg long term average since new.
Difference on my 33 mile commute using cruise control @ 60 mph to 70 mph is huge - 57mpg@60mph / 42@70mph

Reactions: NeilHD and Syed Shah
1.4 S-Stronic Avant here - 3.5k on the clock, 44mpg long term average since new.
Difference on my 33 mile commute using cruise control @ 60 mph to 70 mph is huge - 57mpg@60mph / 42@70mph

Did a 60 mile round trip yesterday averaging probably around 65mph and my avg mpg after the trip was around 46.7 mpg.. so it sounds about right to be fair.

How do you check long term average?

Did a 60 mile round trip yesterday averaging probably around 65mph and my avg mpg after the trip was around 46.7 mpg.. so it sounds about right to be fair.

How do you check long term average?

I've never reset my long term from new, that's how I know.
You should have short term [Start of each trip] / long term [total accumulative] measurements on the DIS/Virtual cockpit.

Just a little update - so as I was updating the maps today on MMI, I have picked up that the car has been making a ticking sound.. not sure what it is but I will be taking the car back to Audi if it still persists.. The car was on for the update and idle.. does make me a little paranoid though as I came across a rather big puddle that I did slow down for but last minute.. Could it possibly be down to that im not sure (yes I do watch AutoVlog hahhah).. but I will keep you guys updated. Car is only on 296 miles.

Did you have the bonnet open, modern engines use high pressure injectors so is it these you possibly were hearing?

Did you have the bonnet open, modern engines use high pressure injectors so is it these you possibly were hearing?

Nope. I was sitting inside the car when I heard the noise

Where was the ticking coming from and did it seem related to engine speed?

The ticking sound came from the engine bay, it more or less sounds like its coming from a fan or something rotatinng.. wasnt related to speed as the car was idle.. i wasnt driving it but it was on

There will always be some strange ticking and smells with a new car, wise to get it checked over though...

There will always be some strange ticking and smells with a new car, wise to get it checked over though...

Totally. Im going to take it in as soon as I can

Reactions: Radman and cuke2u