Audi A3 Turbo FWD Gears

Wizza

Reaction score
An odd thought but here goes...

A good year ago at least I always wondered whather 6-speed boxes could be fitted to the FWD A3's but when was informed that the drive ratio's on an S3 are closer than the A3 hence why the S3 and the quattros have 6 anyway (someone can conform this is need be).

But then after seeing a thread on a forum whereby someone had their box stripped to replace a reverse gear and seals i thought it is possible to fit a sixth gear direct to the original 5-speed boxes for the likes of more economical motorway driving?

Just more a discussion than advice really as was something on my mind.

Ive also always thought these cars need a cruising 6th gear. Its just a sign they were made when economy didnt matter and fuel was cheap i guess.

6th gear in a 6 speed isn't really any different to 5th gear in a 5 speed, still around the same RPM at any given speed.

It's just that the gears in the middle are all closer together.

Pretty pointless really.

Learn something new everyday eh - fair dos Prawn.

Ive also always thought these cars need a cruising 6th gear. Its just a sign they were made when economy didnt matter and fuel was cheap i guess.

In comparison to some other cars though the RPMs are lower - such as my 106 wanted nearly 4000revs at 80mph in 5th gear but yet the A3 touches 100mph at 4000revs in 5th gear.

yeh but thats just the size of the engine i doubt u had a 1.8 in ur 106 lol

the boxs dont make any difference as prawn said its just the middle gears that are closer will check when got time see what mine sits at 100mph.

you carnt compare the 106 to the a3 completly different gearbox set up 106 had close ratio gearboxes

for an idiot:
what advantages does a short ratio gearbox (s3) have over a long ratio gearbox (A3) ?

quicker of the mark longer has higher topspeed.

but with s3 and a3 the s3 has 4wd so makes it quicker of the mark with that also they would have roughly the same topspeed.

Answers the question anyway :)

yeh but thats just the size of the engine i doubt u had a 1.8 in ur 106 lol

No it didn't but lol but i can't think for sure how the ratio's on the GTi are set up.