1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audi a3 tdi turbo

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by jonnysimm, Aug 4, 2011.

1. jonnysimm

jonnysimm jonnysimm

Hi everyone i was wondering if any one on here can help me ? i have a 2.0l tdi a3 2004 remapped the turbo makes a whistling noise when i put my foot down. ive been told that it could be a crack in a pipe or a leak somewhere which is causing this does any one have any ideas what this could be? plus im looking at getting another turbo and was wondering if any one knows where they sell dump valves for diesel cars because ive rang a few places and the say they dont have any. im only wanting a dump valve because the mechanic recommed to get one too pro long the turbo because of the remap or should i just get a new turbo and forget about the dump valve.

Any help will be much appreciated
  2. tdi-man

tdi-man Well-Known Member

dump valves on diesels just dont work.

these turbos are common to whistle if its original turbo ?
  3. jonnysimm

jonnysimm jonnysimm

yeh its original turbo ive had the mechanic in the car and he said its a leak or could be a crack i know they make some noise but this isnt a good noise. so would you recommed just getting a new one but do you think it could happen again because of the remapp because i think this is why it happened.
  4. t8ups

t8ups Well-Known Member

a leaky hose will make excess black smoke, is there loads? check all the clips on the hose's and inspect for any small cracks or tears in the pipe.

as said above the diesel dump valve is only for noise, it gives no benifit in terms of extra power like a petrol would but if you still want to go ahead then its derv doctor that stock these.
  5. jonnysimm

jonnysimm jonnysimm

no there isnt any black smoke ? maybe its best to take it off then and see if there is any cracks. would you say a dump vavle would pro long the turbo because of the remap?
  6. devonmikeyboy

devonmikeyboy As far from JBS as possible !

Your mechanic doesn`t know ****e about diesel engines. A diesel dump valve does NOTHING other then make a noise and depending on design they can make the engine loss boost pressure which will lower the power of the car.
  7. Minstadave

Minstadave Member

A high pitched whistle is normal for a turbo.